Ray, Ernie, & everyone (including Texas Cavers, since I see RD forwarded it
there),

Ernie is correct - the beer budget alone would have been enough to put
several conventions in the black (instead of the red). That said, I'm not
opposed to beer (even though I don't drink it myself).

The questions are:

-          When is it "enough"? Should we just 30-35 kegs (more than OTR
purchases, and that is designated a "party event", yet what was being
budgeted for in an upcoming convention) and have it every night? I believe
most would say "no, a couple of nights is more than sufficient".

-          When a fight breaks out, and it has several times (to the point
of the police being called), are we responsible since we served it?
Different laws in different states/municipalities/campuses make this a
nightmare to avoid.

-          The main point I have below is not that the NSS wants to ban beer
(we don't), but that we will limit it to the alcoholic beverages listed.
There is a trend coming that wants to serve "hard liquor", and the entire EC
of the NSS is opposed to this. Just as we don't object to the NSS buying
beer & wine, we do object when it comes down to liquor with much higher
alcohol content. I'll buy my own, thank you.

-          The cost of beer alone in a proposed Convention budget is $7,510.
This does not include wine at the NSS Awards Banquet, which is another
$2,475, for a total of $9,985. This amount has easily broken Convention's
budgets all by itself. Part of 2018's "cost savings" is a proposed $200
pre-reg ($250 at the door) registration, and if you want a guidebook that's
extra.

So yes, buy extra and truck around the leftovers the next day and fill
everyone's pitchers - that's a really great way to continue to bleed your
Society in a form we can't control. If we don't set a limit, each new
Convention points out the (often large) holes we have in how to host a
convention.

I would hope that everyone will instead encourage the Directors to be
fiscally responsible for the Society, and to do the right thing by voting
"for". Everything in moderation, even caving.

Wm Shrewsbury

President, for another week

National Speleological Society