Molnár János is the longest actively thermal cave in the world, at something
like 5 - 6 miles as best as I can determine. It's almost entirely underwater,
as the article points out. Here in Virginia we're actively exploring Warm River
Cave, which is a bit over 3.5 miles long at present and does not require scuba.
Unfortunately the cave is closed for recreational caving.

These caves are real anomalies. Warm River has average air and water
temperature of around 70 degrees in an area where caves are typically more like
54. However the many streams in the cave vary dramatically in temperature. The
historic Hot Stream is in the 80s, but in the new section we have discovered
infeeders up to 100 degrees, and in some places the air temperature is up to 80
degrees. It's actually too hot, which is rare for a cave. We gave a
presentation on Warm River Cave at the NSS Convention in Missouri a couple of
years back.

Mark Minton
mmin...@caver.net

On Mon, 14 Aug, 2017 at 3:48 AM, 'Jerry' via Southwestern Cavers of the