>From David Locklear

At some time in 1983 or 1984 before I started caving, several Texas cavers
( maybe from U.T. Grotto )
arranged with the rancher to haul a ton of heavy trash ( mostly rusted
metal ) out of the sinkhole with the big tree in it ( a.k.a. Big Tree Cave
).

The tree is just a little hackberry surrounded by an occasional
rattlesnake, but it is the largest tree for 5 miles.

Sometime around September 1984 those cavers invited the A.S.S. to join the
fun.    Two Aggies, John Ragsdale ( of the Texas Transportation Institute
in College Station ) and Freddie Platt ( a quasi-student ?? ) [ originally
from Houston ] decided to accept the invitation and drive out there.   I
probably begged them to let me tag along.   I had never been caving, and I
did not know them.   They had only done a little caving, but John was older
and an N.S.S. member.  They were hesitant to let me tag along ( because I
was weird or too much a newbie, or both ), but we had a fun road-trip in
John's old van.

At the cave camp by the entrance, we were met by Bill Mixon, Ed Sevcik ( on
his first caving trip ? ) and James Reddell and his friend Mauricio and at
least 10 other cavers,  maybe John Spence, maybe Bill Elliot.

I recall they were all still hauling trash out of the sinkhole.   It seems
like we still had to climb over some rusted metal to get to the tiny
belly-crawl entrance.  But it was all hauled out the next day, or on the
next trip a month or two later.

Everyone took off for deeper parts of the cave.   Bill Mixon guided Ed and
I down to the first technical chimney climb.    We would have been able to
easily do it had there been a caver below to show us how super easy it was,
but from our perspective it looked like a 30 foot drop into darkness.   So
we sat there for 2 hours, listening to Bill Mixon tell caving stories in
almost total darkness.

Later that night, another caver guided us to "The Hall of Unicorns."  That
was exciting for a first time caving experience, but I knew then that my
expectations of what I wanted to experience in caving was tropical river
caves.

There should be a write-up by somebody in December 1984 or early 1985 Texas
Caver about that trip.   I can not remember if my name was included.  If
your name is in that report, then we once sort of went caving together.
I seem to recall we also visited the Junction Room in Emerald Sink and
there was somebody surveying a lead off of that.  I recall seeing a caver
rappel into the big pit for the first time and was using a rappel-rack and
thought that was all fascinating.  I had never even heard of rappeling or
even knew what a carabiner was.  Almost all of the cavers used
helmet-mounted brass carbide lamps.  I just had a flashlight.

The rancher came out as we were going home and greeted us as all, and he
told me we could come back any time.    So I started taking the A.S.S.
there once every semester for about 3 years, and later GHG cavers.

[ Sidenote:  I typed most of this story on my smartphone while riding in a
car with my mom who was lecturing to me that swimming in places like
Paradise Canyon gives you brain amoebas ]

I went caving several more times with both Freddie and John.    Freddie
disappeared in 1985.  I have no clue what became of him, ( I only recall he
was a hypochondriac. ) I have not seen John Ragsdale since 1987, but he was
the caver that rescued me 3 months ago when my Sequoia blew a head-gasket.
In his job at the TTI, he has done thousands of vehicle crash-test with
dummies including test with expensive sports cars like a Ferrari.