For you old-timers:

My spare tire under my SUV has probably been hanging there for 10 years,
never used.    If you were going into the backcountry, would you replace it
with a new tire ?  or with a slightly used newer tire. ( A new tire is over
$ 200. )

Also, I have an additional spare tire both in the same new-like 10 year old
condition.

Both spares are steel rims.

My 4 wheels on the SUV are aluminum.    I am concerned they might get
stolen in the backcountry.   Is putting wheel locks on the lugs sufficient ?

One other idea, I have is to leave the expensive aluminum wheels at home.
 But then, I would need to go to junk yard and purchase 3 more spares. (
They are $ 70 each here, wheel and tire. )

These are not donuts.  Should I try to find a donut too ?

I really miss Jim McClane, today.

His answer to this question would have filled an article in a magazine and
includes graphs and charts and super pessimistic opinions about poor
quality imported tires from Malaysia.

The junk-yard guy suggested that I only put the old tires on the back
wheels, I assume for safety reasons in case of a blow-out.  Right ??

dlocklea...@gmail.com