>From David Locklear

Have you ever had to back out of trip at the last minute after you put your
heart and soul into making trip preparations ?

I call it the speleo-blues.  Or in this case, just the road-trip-blues.

It is Wednesday night. 10 p.m., and my 4x4 vehicle is packed ready to pull
out of the driveway prepped for an adventure into lower parts of The Sierra
Madres.  The ice chest is already loaded and packed.  I just have a cot and
some blankets and my boots.  I am ready to to see shooting stars fly across
The Milky Way.

I have 4 new all-terrain tires installed and balanced and locked to my new
junk-yard 18 inch steel rims with lug nut locks.  I have test-driven the
new tires 40 miles.  That project ended up costing $ 700.

Meanwhile, my beloved wife arrived safely at the house that she owns in
Monterrey, Mexico all by herself about an hour ago.

I am now in Arcola at home, sitting on the couch, realizing the reality
that I need to blow off the road-trip and hunker down.  I am free as a bird
for the next 88 hours.  In my younger days, I would be passing thru Nuevo
Laredo Mexico by 5 a.m.  But the wiser old geezer cumurdgeon in me warns me
of the realities if things do not go as planned.  Even just a few months
ago, I would have said to myself "ah, to H*'ll with it all, and just drove
off blindly into the wind."
But not this time, the realties of life have beaten me down to be more
cautious.  There are just way too many logistical 'what-if" scenarios to
pull out of the driveway.  For example, what if I can not get my daughter
home on time ?  She is in Arlington and has to be in Arcola Sunday night.

As far as trip alternatives,

I would like to watch the launch of the Flat-Earth Research Rocket on
Saturday.  I have only been to the Mojave Desert once.  Watch that live
on-line if you can.

Happy Thanksgiving.