It's JOKE, MIke! For crying out loud! And a reminder that you cannot always
believe what you read on the internet especially in "forums".

Thanks to Jerry, I have seen the note that was published so long ago. Here is
what happened:

My report on the fast-growing halite formations (mostly stalactites) in the
underground workings in mines east of Carlsbad, New Mexico, was initially
presented, along with all the interesting photographs, at the Winter technical
meeting of the Southwest Region of the NSS at Carlsbad, New Mexico, on December
6, 1966. An abstract (without illustrations) was printed in the Southwestern
Cavers in the January-February issue, page 12, 1987. During my oral
presentation, I facetiously referred to some of these deposits as
"halite-tites".

I did, also facetiously, refer to these things as "halite-tites" in my recent
posts on these forums. Anyone who thinks this makes them citable scientific
references badly misunderstands the way science, and scientific nomenclature,
is done.

DirtDoc