*GPS accuracy at surveyor monuments  *

I went out and found some surveyor monuments (benchmarks) to give my GPS
devices the acid test. My wife Gayle helped me find two monuments near the
local golf course. The Club2 monument was an excellent brass monument on a
concrete mound, the other was down in a ditch, looked damaged, and probably
had been moved by mowing equipment. More on finding monuments below. These
provide highly accurate positions to test your GPS device.

Here are some new accuracy values to go by, as measured on my Bad Elf GPS
Pro (GPS satellites only), Windows vitalASC 2-in-1 tablet with GNSS sensor,
and iPhone 6 with GNSS (but wifi and LTE receivers off). It was a clear day
with a good view of the sky, and I got 10 of 13 or 14 satellites locked in
on the Bad Elf.

Here are the differences in meters from the actual NGS location of the
Club2 monument:

*Bad Elf: 2.85 m from true location* (average of 4 fixes, "±3.3 m" on the
best reading according to Bad Elf app)
*Windows tablet: 2.64 m* from true location (1 fix)
*iPhone 6: 2.53 m* from true location (1 fix, but "±5 m" according to
Compass 55 app)

All in all, all three devices performed well under near ideal conditions,
and got less than ±3 m error. The iPhone score may have been good luck; if
I had taken 4 fixes it might have been worse. In my recent article I gave
my iPhone 6 and iPad mini-2 only ±10 m accuracy, but that was based on
fixes in my back yard under worse conditions than this test. But I think
owners of iPhone 5S and later can be pretty confident of their GPS
locations on a good day, probably ±3-5 m. Under poor conditions I think the
Bad Elf will perform better than iPhone/iPad or my Windows tablet, and the
Bad Elf app gives you more information to measure accuracy.

I found information on surveyor monuments on my local quad at the National
Geodetic Survey at  https://www.ngs.noaa.gov/ Pick these menus: Data &
imagery/Survey Mark Datasheets. There you can search several ways, but if
you know the USGS quad you live on, search for that quad name, confirm
which state it is in, and download the xml format, which will open in Excel
as .xlsx. You can also start with county and so on. In the spreadsheet you
can explore the data fields (columns) and find monuments that have a good
or better "LAST_COND". Many are along highway ditches and get mowed over,
moved, or lost. The "wkt_geom" field gives you the decimal lat/long to 17
decimal places from their GIS, and the accuracy may be within millimeters.

*William R. (Bill) Elliott*

*speodes...@gmail.com <speodes...@gmail.com>*

573-291-5093 cell