Fritz--What a weekend!!

Preston in Browder, KY
    On Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 11:16:38 AM CST, Fritz Holt
<fritz...@gmail.com> wrote:

 I had not met Jack Prince but knew of his ledge crossing and great discovery.
In December of 1955 or January 1956 I was stationed at Ft. Bliss in El Paso and
had corresponded with good caving friend Jimmy Walker of Waelder, TX.  Jimmy
said he was leaving on Friday to check out a cave that a Dallas caving group
had just discovered on The Mayfield Ranch near Sonora and invited me to meet
him there. Fortunately, I did not have K.P. or guard duty that weekend so I
loaded my gear in the car and headed east. I arrived at the ranch house at 2:00
AM Saturday morning and awakened Mr. Mayfield. He advised me that my party was
camped under some trees about 500 feet south of his house and near the cave
entrance. I slept in my car until first light and then joined the group in
building a fire and eating some breakfast. We then descended into what was to
be the most beautifully decorated underground wonderland that any of us had
seen before or since. By the way, Jimmy’s two friends who accompanied us on
this trip were Bob Hudson and his brother-in-law Ralph. Once in the cave, it
did not take long to reach the ledge that had been described to Jimmy. The drop
to the floor below appeared to be 30 or 40 feet and looked perilous. Jimmy
remembers that it was Ralph who crossed the ledge to secure a rope to a distant
formation to give us some sense of security. My memory is that there was an
existing rope already attached from the previous expedition. Jimmy believed we
were the third group to cross the ledge after the Prince group did so in
September. 1955.  Carl Kunath believes we were the fifth or sixth group to make
the crossing. Jimmy told me that he had previously received a call from Prince
or a member of his group asking for a recommendation for a cave to visit. Jimmy
had a trip planned for that same September, 1955
period and did not want the competition so he told them they might want to
check out a cave on the Mayfield Ranch which was some distance from Jimmy’s
planned trip. Little did he know what the other group would discover. It goes
without saying that the two days spent in Mayfield were the best of all my
caving experiences. The formations were and I hope still are the most beautiful
anyone could ever hope to see. I have never been back but hope to visit again.
Friend Preston McMichael (deceased) and Lyndon TU said the cave office has a
picture displayed of 21 year old Fritz Holt looking up at a six foot soda
straw. Jimmy Walker took this picture and others on our trip to the cave. I
think I have several. I hope I haven’t bored all with my nostalgic
recollections.
Fritz F. Holt12737 Silver Creek Rd. Dripping Springs, TX
78620fritztcr@gmail.com713-818-2496Sent from my iPhone