This comes from a 1996 NTSS Caver's Echo article that was, in turn, a reprint
of a Carlsbad Current-Argus article from 29 February 1996 :

Caver’s Echo, 1996. 15(3):13-14 (4 June 1996).
  Following reprint taken fromthe Our Town edition of
Carlsbad Current-Argus
Thursday, Feb.29,1996
  Crisman: A life of caving work Crisman to retirefrom NPS in fall

byTeresa Lambright
 CARLSBAD.   In 1953, Bob Crisman was a student at Abilene Christian
Collegestudying to be a preacher when he and his brother Bart caught the caving
bugthat would change the course of his life.It was a buginstilled in Crisman
early on, and one that finally led him to the NationalPark Service, where he
will wrap up a 39-year career this fall. “I remember beingvery favorably
impressed with Carlsbad Caverns when my parents brought me outhere when I was 8
years old,” Crisman said of his earliest love of caves. But, he said, itwas not
a dream from childhood because it seemed an impossibility.

“I never dreamedI’d be able to get into the Park Service. It was really through
my interest incaving ..that really provided the door to get in.”

And it was morethan 150 foot cable ladder and a southwest Texas pitwith ominous
name Devil’s Sinkhole” that first cracked open thatentrance.Crisman said he
andBart read about the cave, and the adventure intrigued them, so they headed
outwith their only caving gear - two carbide lamps and a safety rope.

“It was just mybrother and I.  We had cloth hats, nothard hats, but we did have
carbide lamps,” he said, adding that first wild-caveexperience set the stage
for a budding passion. The two soon teamedup to work with the National
Speleological Society inventorying caves in Texas,and two years after the
Devil’s Sinkhole experience set them on the trail, thepair stumbled upon their
greatest caving triumph.

“We had beenworking inventorying caves on the southern plateau of Texas when we
came onSonora,” Crisman said. “We went in as far as the pit,” a 45-foot crater
thatturned back most visitors to the unexplored cave. “We ran out of timeand
really, we also didn’t see a way to get past that pit,” he said, addingthey did
see what might be an entrance on the other side. They passed the tipto Dallas
Grotto cavers, who later discovered the cavern’s helectite room.

On the second tip,the Crismans joined the group. “We were jointly in on
discovering the rest ofthe cave,” Crisman said of the Caverns of Sonora that
now draws thousands ofvisitors each year to see its many intricate and pristine
formations. In the same area,the Crismans also joined in on the discovery of
Harrison Cave, also filled withnotable formations - although not open to the
public, Crisman said.

Those findings putCrisman’s story and photo in the 1956 NSS “The News” and the
June 1964 NationalGeographic, among others. But the real reward was far more
spiritual. He said bothprovided a thrill hard for others to imagine.

“It was a thrill toknow we were some of the first ones in there. Until you
actually experiencethat, you just don’t appreciate that or what it’s like. Just
to know you’re thefirst person to walk into a place nobody has ever seen before
is really neat,”Crisman said.

The pair continuedtheir exploits through 1957, when their journey led Bob
Crisman into hislifetime career. Crisman said thesearch for a fabled 2,000-foot
cave near Carlsbad Caverns led the pair here,where the fable went flat, but
opportunity arose. The pair got permission tocave off-trail with Dr. Bill
Halliday in Left Hand Tunnel. It was Hallidaythat pitched park employment
openings to young Crisman, who had fallen awayfrom his decision to pursue the
ministry.

“I thought I wantedto be a preacher at that time,” Crisman said of his Abilene
studies. “I evenpreached a little in college at some rural area churches. After
a few months, Idecided I was not cut out to do that every week.” Crisman came
backto the park near the end of September and took the tour leader exam. He got
thejob he thought as a child he would never have.

At that point,Crisman said, his days of caving with Bart basically came to an
end, althoughthe pair did get in some exploring in the park’s caves those first
years - includinga rescue mission for Bart after a 40-foot fall in Ogle Cave.
Bart continued hisexplorations through the 1970’s, Crisman said. Bob served a
year as tour leaderbefore being promoted to tour leader supervisor. After three
years, he sought atransfer out of the park that included a ranger title.

“Of course, being atour leader then did get a little monotonous.” Crisman said
of his first NPSjob. Tour leaders followed prescribed motions and speeches day
in and out fordaily tour groups. “The first year, itwas the best job I had ever
had, then...but by the third year it was getting alittle old.”

He transferred toMontezuma Castle National Monument in Arizona in 1960,
followed that as onlythe second protection ranger at the newly established Fort
Davis NationalHistoric Site in Texas in 1965 and finally came back to Carlsbad
Caverns in1970.

In October orNovember [1996], with 39 years of service and a year of
accumulated sick-leave andnear his 62nd birthday, Crisman will finish his
career where it began completingthe circle from Caverns tour leader to primary
assistant to the last fiveCaverns superintendents. He and wife, Pauline, plan
to stay in Carlsbad.

For 25 years, Crisman haswritten most of the park’s news releases and overseen
the park’s safety and concessionsmanagement programs and assisted. He has met
dignitaries like “Lady Bird’Johnson, former Texas Gov. John Connally and Julie
Nixon Eisenhower andcelebrities like Ron Howard, Pat Boone and Jim and John
Haggar. He provided thetext for many of the park’s folders and radio messages
and wrote the park’snomination for the World Heritage Site designation it
received in December.

He describes hisservice simply, “I’ve tried to be a good soldier and give the
credit to thefive superintendents I’ve served as principal assistant. It’s also
nice to havegotten paid for something I’ve enjoyed doing and to retire on a
positive note.”