From: Texascavers <texascavers-boun...@texascavers.com> On Behalf Of Geary
Schindel
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2019 10:35 AM
To: 'texascavers@texascavers.com' <texascavers@texascavers.com>
Subject: [Texascavers] 2019 NSS Convention Quick Trip Report

Folks,

The NSS Convention was excellent and even though David L. didn't mention me, I
did stop for a moment, shake his hand, and run off to another meeting.

Much of my time was spent in the Board of Governors meeting on Monday and
Friday, Tuesday and Thursday afternoons, I was with Benjy Von Cramon helping
present our session on the 3D Photorealistic model of a nice Texas Cave. We had
a very good turnout both days.

On Wednesday, I went caving with the Junior Speleological Society and had a
great time in Lost Creek Cave. It had been many years since I was in the cave.
Really nice trip, the kids did great. We had the fellows reception one night
and another meeting with the NSF on another night.

The Photo Salon was excellent and well attended on Thursday night. On Friday
night, the NSS Awards Banquet was held and finished up about 10 minutes before
a major wind and rain storm hit. Two tornadoes touched down some ways north and
south of Cookeville with some minor damage. There was a lightening strike in or
near the campground. The large circus tent set up at the campground survived
but many other tents were damaged.

I think there were more than 1,100 people attending the event for the full
week. The campground facilities seemed to be very nice but Sue and I had gotten
a hotel room which was a good call.  The campground was about 15 minutes from
Cookeville High School where the sessions were held. The high school was in
great shape and was a great venue for the meeting. The only complaint I heard
was that it was very cold (I had heard that there was an advisory that ice may
form in some of the hallways).

We've decided at next year's convention to announce the new fellows of the
society on Monday but still present them with their certificates on Friday at
the Awards Banquet. This will give the new fellows an opportunity to bask in
the glory for the entire week.

Great selection of caves available for the event including Camps Gulf, Blue
Springs, Lost Creek, Rumbling Falls and many more.

There were lots of Texans present at the convention including Guin and Colin
(and the young'un (and he is quite the smiler and may have had the best time of
all), Galan, Drew, Preston and Sheri, Mike Harris, David Locklear, Bill
Bentley, Jacquie Thomas and many others.

There were storms almost every day including the Monday evening Howdy Party and
the Friday banquet. No one was hurt during the storms. The stands at the
campground/fairground were storm shelters and I think that many folks took
shelter under the concrete stands and continued to party on - at least on
Friday night. Once the storms passed, folks went to the party barn. We didn't
attend the Terminal Syphons but I heard the music was great again this year.
Camping was cool but wet.

Maureen Handler and Frank Bogle and staff did a great job. It was very well
organized and executed. It was in a wonderful part of the country and great to
be back in Tennessee, land of 10,000 caves.

Geary Schindel

 << File: ATT00001.txt >>