From: Texascavers <texascavers-boun...@texascavers.com> On Behalf Of David
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2019 4:35 PM
To: CaveTex <texascavers@texascavers.com>
Subject: [Texascavers] various NSS Convention stuff

In the event that someone publishes any of the recent post here by cavers,
I thought I would suggest some grammar corrections to Geary's
post.

1 ) The Fellows Reception
2 ) lightning   ( as opposed to:    a drop in the level of the
uterus during the last weeks of pregnancy as the head of the fetus engages in
the pelvis. )
3 ) Fellows of the Society ( or Society of Fellows ? )
4 )   Jaqueline Thomas ( goes by J. Larue Thomas  ? ) now of Alabama.
5 )  Galan Falgout was accompanied by a lady from the Huautla caving area.
Meaning she
      came a really long way to attend the convention.

I heard a valid rumor that Maureen Handler played a roll in helping me get from
my
motel to the registration on Sunday.     I had no earthly idea why there was a
volunteer
camped out at my motel in their car patiently waiting on me to take me to the
high
school.    My only plan was to sleep all day.    It was just pure luck that I
checked my
messages before about to doze off.       I can attest to the high school being
a tad bit cold, because
I was so exhausted after registering, that I had to make a makeshift homeless
shelter in
the cafeteria to try to get some shut-eye.     And I did not have a blanket in
my ridiculous
duffle bag.

I think this was my first convention to not see Roy Wessel roaming around
somewhere.

On the topic of basking in the glory, it is sort of unusual to see so many
people bragging of
their accomplishments.      But when, you only see someone 5 minutes per year,
you sort
of have to cram it all in there.     A typical conversation, might be,
something like, "Hello, My
name is David, and I am just hear to be at The Howdy Party for an hour, and
then, the other person says,
oh, I just mapped a 500 meters of virgin passage in Lech - which was located 3
hours of hard-core
caving from a remote outpost camp where we camped underground for 4 days, and
I am here to present a slideshow on that, plus I am here to accept an award for
saving the pristine
Deep Hollow Cave from a pipeline going thru it, saving a new unknown species of
troglobitic asellid."

I only spent about 6 hours socializing at the convention, and probably met face
to face with 100 or more
real cavers.     It is so hard to remember names, when you only see someone for
5 minutes per year, and
when one can't associate them, with an object or a place.     For example, one
of the people that I always enjoy seeing, I can't
remember his name.   I think I call him Elvis.  ( his partner Rita passed away
several years ago ).   I feel that I
should not forget their names, but I do.

Someone needs to set up The Oztotl Tent at Groad Hollow in 2020 at the West
Virginia Convention.   What
ever happened to it ?    Has it been set up since the Kerrville Convention ?

I have not heard anybody talk about the beer at this convention.     Many of
the old-timers seem to remember a
convention based on beer.

D.L.
***This is an external email - beware links & attachments from unknown
senders***