Speleo-History of Texas Armchair Caving
_________________________________

Facebook has superseded CaveTex as the primary
method of mass communication with Texas Cavers.

It seems appropriate ( for historical purposes only )
to formally declare, that as of
July 14th, 2019, speleo-communication amongst Texas
cavers has become more prevalent on Facebook than
on other forums or listserves.

The fact is that now, we have at least 10 scattered Facebook
pages related to caving in Texas.   I would guess that number
is higher, maybe 13 or 14.

I think there are still lots of active cavers that do not use
Facebook, and many more that just have an unused account
or a bogus account with fake name.      I still have an account, but it is
fake,
and seldom if ever use it unless it is just a necessity.

DFW Grotto has a few recent post on their Facebook page.

I am not able to see post of grotto pages that are not public.
For example, I can't view anything prior to February 2007, on the
Underground Texas Grotto Page, and can not view anything on
the Greater Houston Grotto Page.

Here is a list of most of the major pages.    I do not know if
some are "unofficial."

https://www.facebook.com/DFWgrotto/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/102420208204/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AggieGrotto/?fref=nf

https://www.facebook.com/lubbockareagrotto/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2228997855/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BexarGrotto/

https://www.facebook.com/NCKRI/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TexasCaveManagement/

https://www.facebook.com/texasspeleologicalsurvey/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/28567352179/

Some of those need to update their domain name ( TSA, for example )

One ironic thing about all this is that back in 2011, and especially
prior to that, there was quite a bit of hostility in the caving community
towards Facebook.

The most important post that I observed in this research was from
Peter Sprouse concerning the blockage of the entrance to Lookout Road Cave.

One could argue that email is just annoying or those pesky people that post
irrelevant emails killed CaveTex ( shame on them !, especially that one
crazy guy ).
Or that an app on the smartphone, makes Facebook so simple and convenient,
or that groups on Facebook are able to focus on specific issues that are
more
important to them.

Feel free to elaborate, and expand and edit and re-post this article in
paper format in a caving
newsletter.

David Locklear
NSS # 27639 RL

On a related note,

I received a virtual-star recognition on Facebook for the rants that I post
on the page
for the Texas attorneys.      They actually think I am weird, in the same
way that others do.   I imagine
that probably 100 or more of them think that.    But my post there, are
about the insane things that happen
to me while trying to serve a subpoena on a police officer who is wearing
his pajamas.