Although Waco was the largest city near the Branch Davidian compound, it WAS
NOT a Waco thing. It was near the Elk / Axtell area outside and east- northeast
of Waco. We lived here, still do, and except for seeing one ATF agent eating
out one night, and being bombarded with the constant news coverage at night on
TV, you would never have known anything was going on. We did not go downtown
around the daily briefings - no reason to. Never been out to the site, and
never will. Sick fascination. Just an unfortunate occurrence that obscured
Waco’s previous mark of fame - the 1953 deadly tornado! Which was where long
time caver and photographer Jim Jasek took some of his first Texas pictures
with his Brownie box camera! Now, to me, that is news!

Of course, now we are on the map for the Baylor University scandals, and the
Magnolia infestation! Poor town can’t get a break!

Mimi Jasek

Sent from my iPhone