I have not heard of a compass changing polarity before. Interesting but guess
it is possible to remagnetize the magnet on the compass needle. Then again,
maybe you were near a vortex like the one’s near Sedona. I understand they can
do all kinds of strange things such as teleport you back in time, increase your
chances of being probed by aliens (the interstellar kind), cure you of Herpes,
etc.

I have seen clinometers get deflected by some who’s heads are approaching Black
Hole density. LOL.

Actually, I sent a clinometer back to General Supply because it laid in a cave
stream for about a year and got really funky. They put in a new clinometer
instrument. When I checked it using a fixed incline plane, it gave me two
different readings – for example +25 degrees and – 37 degrees.

I called General Supply and they denied that was possible and that they had a
very expensive machine so it had to be right. Sorry, but it was my problem.
That’s when I told him that maybe the guy that calibrated the instrument had a
head that was as dense as a black hole and it was distorting the gravitational
field in the building. So, I called up the Suunto rep in the US and he said to
send it to Forestry Supply and they would fix it and Suunto would pay for it.
Before those of you that know me jump to conclusions, I know it wasn’t my head
causing the distortion as the instrument worked find when it came back from
Forestry Supply.

I do remember the Suunto rep mumbling something about General Supply and that
my assumptions on head density were probably correct.

Geary