From: jran...@gmail.com
Date: 8/26/19 06:12 (GMT-07:00)
To: texascavers@texascavers.com
Subject: [Texascavers] Honey Creek Cave and TCMA

Cavers -

We are excited to announce that Texas Cave Management Association (TCMA) and
the owners of Honey Creek Springs Ranch (private property) have negotiated a
formal access and monitoring agreement for Honey Creek Cave, the longest cave
in Texas.

Honey Creek Cave is a water cave with more than 21 miles of surveyed passage,
often described as an underground river, and the resurgence serves as the
headwaters for the flowing section of Honey Creek.  This surface stream is
known for its superior water quality and unique ecosystem. Honey Creek (surface
stream) is surrounded almost in its entirety by Honey Creek State Natural Area,
a unit of TPWD.

TCMA and our members will have four trips a year for scientific, exploration
(survey), and limited recreational access.  In return, we will formalize our
monitoring efforts on water quality, cave biota and the overall impacts the
cave is experiencing. The surrounding area is experiencing an explosion of
property development and faces significant risks from water pumping, waste
water discharge, aggregate mining, and general impacts from increased human
activity.

Kurt Menking will serve as our inaugural project manager. Bill Steele will lead
the renewed survey efforts. They have a combined experience of nearly 80 years
with the cave.

Many thanks to the owners of Honey Creek, Kurt Menking, Bill Steele, Andy
Gluesenkamp, Greg Mosier, Ellie Thoene, Linda Palit and many others for their
hard work maintaining land owner relationships these past many years.

We are currently working with key folks to establish our trip schedule, access
guidelines, monitoring protocols etc.

Stay tuned for more information on how you can help TCMA fulfill our mission
and visit Honey Creek Cave. For membership information please visit our
website. For questions please contact i...@tcmacaves.org.

Joe Ranzau
President | Texas Cave Management Association
www.tcmacaves.org<http://www.tcmacaves.org>
210.289.6839

Permission is granted to distribute this announcement.