Attention cavers,

There will be a workday at the Texas Speleological Center, 14045 North Green
Hills Loop, Austin, in Hays County next Sunday, October 10, all day. We will be
painting outside walls, repairing the deck, improving drainage, nailing
sheathing, and other chores.  If you want to come and visit, feel free. If you
want to help, write me a note.

I will be posting additional details in the next few days.  ronralph at
Austin.rr.com  512 797-3817E

We will be replacing 2 by 6-inch decking is needed.  We need to countersink
existing nails and screws and cut out rotten 2x6” decking on the back porch and
replacing them with new wood prior to painting. We will then be painting the
deck with stain on both floor and rails.  We will provide saws, pry bars, screw
gun, nails and deck screws as needed.  Work clothes, boots and gloves will be
necessary.

Drainage around the barn needs improvement.  We will be removing colluvial
slope wash and tree mulch from three sides of the structure.  Shovel, pick, hoe
and wheelbarrows will be provided with fill placed in the low spots of the
parking lot.  Youth, boots and work clothes are needed.  Chiggers and poison
oak will be provided also.

We need to construct a temporary post and chain at the entrance way. We need to
dig two post holes and set bollards.  Then, a wire or chain will need to be
stretched across the drive in such a manner that the place looks protected, but
can be easily accessed by lifting the chain off a hook in the drilled post.  We
will provide shovels, pick, San Angelo bar, bollards and concrete.   Youth,
boots and work clothes are needed.

Carpentry on the barn and office are needed.  We will be replacing some fascia
where wood rot has damaged the existing boards.  We will be replacing some
sheathing where it has been destroyed by rain and weather.  We will be adding
new sheathing around the back door.  And we will be replacing trim where
needed.  Hammer, pry bar and nails/screws will be provided along with lumber.
Experience, youth, boots and work clothes are needed.  Some high work on
ladders will be necessary.

The parking lot needs fill and mulch needs to be placed.  Hopefully we will
have gravel delivered to be placed in the parking lot and where pavement meets
two-track and parking. We also need to shovel existing mulch and haul it to the
drainage area around the barn to break falling rain water off the roof.
Shovel, rake and wheelbarrows will be provided.  Youth, boots and work clothes
are needed.

Painting at the barn and office are needed.  We will be scraping sheathing at
the barn and office, then painting with KILLS, then exterior latex.  We will
also be caulking joints and repainting rotten wood with new skirting.  We will
be painting the deck with stain on the floor and rails.  We will provide
rollers, brushes, paint and thinner along with a paint gun and hopefully a good
spray painter.   Youth, boots and painting clothes are needed.  Some high work
on ladders will be necessary.

We need to lope and chop cedar trees.  In preparation for a fencing contractor,
we will be clearing an access path along the southwest and southeast property
lines.  This will entail cutting cedar and hauling it to a central location
where we can hopefully use a donated chipper to reduce slash to mulch.  We will
provide loppers and a chain saw. You will need boots, gloves and work clothes
and probably a bandana mask.