Attention cavers,

There will be a work weekend at the Texas Speleological Center, 14045 North
Green Hills Loop, Austin, in Hays County, on December 11 and 12 (Saturday and
Sunday), all day and all night.  We will burn a huge pile of slash the whole
time and doing other chores.  I will bring hot dogs and S’mores for lunch and
dinner; you should bring children, dogs and pot luck.  Camping will be
available and the office and barn will be open for sleeping on the floor.  The
kitchen and bathroom will be open for your use.

Tom Brown will be painting the barn (two coats of latex) and he will need an
assistant or two to help paint and move the ladders.  Some hand painting will
be required on the outside back wall of the office also.

Carpentry on the barn and office are needed.  We will be replacing some fascia
where wood rot has damaged the existing boards.  We may be replacing some
sheathing where it has been destroyed by rain and weather.  Hammer, pry bar and
nails/screws will be provided along with lumber.  Experience, youth, boots and
work clothes are needed.  Some high work on ladders will be necessary.  Vico
Jones, assisted by Jon Cradit, will be leading the fascia repair project on the
office.  This will need priming and painting also.  This is in anticipation of
installing gutters on the office by a contractor.

Drainage around the barn needs improvement.  We will be removing colluvial
slope wash and tree mulch from three sides of the structure.  Shovel, pick, hoe
and wheelbarrows will be provided with fill placed in the low spots of the
parking lot.  Youth, boots and work clothes are needed.  Chiggers and poison
oak will be provided for free.

We need to lope and chop some cedar trees and cut up downed slash for the fire.
 In preparation for a fencing contractor, we will be clearing an access path
along the southwest and southeast property lines.  This will entail cutting
cedar and hauling it to a central location where we can burn it.  We will
provide loppers and a chain saw. You will need boots, gloves and work clothes
and probably a bandana mask.

If you want to come and visit day and/or night, feel free.  I will try to have
someone available to give an office tour and maybe let you work at filing cave
records and organizing the library.  If you want to help on a specific task,
write me a note so I can schedule you in.  I will be posting reminders and
additional details in the next few days.

Ron

ronralph at Austin.rr.com                512 797-3817 cell