*Nandan Nilekani's Experience in Pa**rliament. From an INFOSCION to a
POLITICION - Nandan's Chronicles - 2.*

Continuing my tryst with capturing the life and times of Nandan Nilekani
in his new avatar as a Cabinet Minister, here is what he had penned after
his first day in the Parliament. The last entry stopped when the House was
just about to begin. Let’s see what happened thereafter…. The House was in
pin drop silence. I was brimming with anticipation and excitement! !!!
Manmohan had informed me that my introduction was one of the important
points of the agenda. I hoped that I will be able to make my speech
properly. After so many interviews and conferences, I was nervous today! !!!
After the Speaker indicated that the proceedings of the House
could begin, Manmohan formally introduced me to the entire House.
He mentioned that as the head of the Unique Identification Authority of
India, I was responsible to ensure that each and every Indian had a digital
smart card as a proof of his existence.

Manmohan spoke about why I was selected and also some references to
the various projects executed by me in Infosys were mentioned. The
House listened with rapt attention. I was asked to say a few words and I
did exactly the same!!! I thanked the Government of India for having given
me this opportunity and I assured the House that I would strive to
successfully  deliver this project. The Speaker then formally inducted me
into the House and before the proceedings could move any forward, there was
a small commotion on the other side of the hall. It was Minister of Textiles
who had a comment to make before the next point on the agenda. He made a
request that I should be attired in a more austere way instead of a flashy
suit. It did not go well with the image of a minister who should live to
serve the common man and should be less ostentatious in his habits. I stood
up to reply. I offered my apologies to the Honourable Minister and assured
that I shall be in a more acceptable dress next time. I felt that he was
right. We also used to have corporate dress code in Infosys. So it's here as
well!!!!

I sat down and felt somebody nudging me. I turned around and to my
surprise; it was the former Indian skipper and one of my favourite batsman
Mohd. Azharuddin. I remembered that he had recently won the elections. I
smiled at him and mentioned to him that I used to like his game very much,
shaking his hand. No Rolex, I noticed. Azhar told me that he would “fix” me
an appointment with an Italian designer who had designed his dapper Kurta
suit. An Italian designer in Milan doing Kurtas!!!!! I made a note of this
and reminded myself to give this example to Friedman for his next book,  The
World Markets are flattened”.

Since there was no doubt about the “Fixational” capacities of Azhar, I
told him to give me the details and I would consider. The proceedings of
the House went on with numerous bills being debated and passed as I sat as
a passive audience waiting for my project’s turn to come up. After the
lunch break, it was the moment for me!!!! MY PROJECT”S FIRST REVIEW CAME UP
FOR PRESENTATION.  I was at sea. My laptop did not have any reserve power. I
went to Manmohan and apprised him of the situation. I was sweating. He
calmly replied that this would not be a cause of concern. I was flummoxed!!!
! The Speaker asked me to explain to the House on what were my plans for the
Unique Identity Project. I replied that I have a plan prepared for
30-60-90-120 days’ milestones and I have presentation to make for which I
need a power socket, a projector and a screen.. I had no idea what was going
to happen after this.

The next couple of minutes were a complete jolt for me. I was completely
in a tizzy. Let me just summarize what happened. A Joint Cabinet
Secretary Committee was set up to judge the feasibility of my request. The
Under Secretaries for the Ministries of Power, IT and Broadcasting will
prepare a Viability Report after Scrutinizing National Security threats to
my request. This was because the power socket comes under Power, laptop
comes under IT and projector comes under Broadcasting. I have also been told
to reconsider my timelines of 30-60-90 days and start thinking in terms of
years. Probably, they are right. I did not have the foresight in this
matter. The summary of the issue is that I need to come up with a more
inclusive, democrati c, comprehensive long term plan for this project to be
executed over the next five years. I have also been given a presentation
slot 3 months from now (by which the issues related to the power cord etc
will also
be resolved). I am filled with mixed reactions. I was planning for a
quick resolution; the management wants a strategic solution.

I come out of the House and text Murthy.

“You won’t believe it but these guys work just like us. I am on a
NATIONAL BENCH for the next three months!!!!!! !!”

Reply via email to