hi,
an interesting piece is attached
regards

It happened at The Oval
First-hand accounts from players on why the forfeit happened back in 2006
Samantha Pendergrast
September 8, 2010
The News of the Worldsting operation inspired us. We wanted to do one too. But 
it was too hard and needed lots of money. So we stuck to interviews. And we got 
some exclusive, never-heard-before stuff about the evening of the fourth day of 
the 2006 Oval Test. Only, there are three versions. Which of them is true?   

 


 
Inzamam-ul-Haq: Aaah, you see jee, what happened was Shoaib Akhtar landed in 
our 
team hotel that morning and demanded to be let into the XI immediately, 
claiming 
he had a new delivery - bowled off only seven paces - where he held the ball 
between his thumb and middle finger. I told him that even if I could let him 
into the XI in the middle of a Test, his delivery sounded absolutely ridiculous 
and taken straight from the game of carrom. Thankfully he went away. 

We went up to tea irritated with Darrell Hair for penalising us. But our mood 
was lifted by the mutton samosas laid out for tea along with jelly doughnuts. I 
shared the food out among all of us while Younis entertained us with 
impressions 
of Ian Bell being ripped off by Karachi carpet salesmen. At the end of the 
meal, 
we had our daily ritual of telling everyone what we appreciated about them that 
day. No one had anything nice to say about Kamran so it took a few minutes to 
pacify him. 

As I went to open the dressing-room door, I found it was locked from the 
outside. Shoaib was standing there, jumping up and down and laughing 
maniacally. 
"If I don't get to play, no one does". I tried to threaten him with my bat but 
he laughed, muttered something about "only in Toronto" and ran off like an 
express train. 

Five minutes of banging and shouting at the door didn't bring anyone. 
Then I realised Asif was gently prodding my stomach. "Sirjee, I do." I told him 
kicking the door wasn't an option because he had to bowl with those legs. He 
shook his head, took the paper clip from my notes on "Jokes that don't 
discriminate against fat people" and expertly picked the lock. I didn't want to 
know how or where he learnt lock-picking. But by the time we got down, Hair had 
awarded the match to England. 

Our board president thought no one would believe Shoaib locked us in (Ed: 
"anything can happen in Pakistan cricket" was yet to gain popularity as a 
maxim) 
and told us to go with the ball-tampering story. 

************ 
Shoaib Akhtar: I was in London for an audition for Wicked and dropped in to see 
the team. Inzy was delighted to see me and practically begged me to join the 
team for the Test. He said if I could keep wicket, he could sneak me in. In 
fact, he said could I please pretty please keep wicket. He was squeezing my arm 
so tight I thought my double-joint would spring twins. Ha ha ha. 

Unfortunately Kamran heard Inzy's plea and what a tantrum he threw. I slipped 
away as soon as I could but returned to the dressing room in the afternoon. 

What a bizarre scene there! Inzy was addressing the boys, who were all looking 
at each other uncomfortably. "There was one last jelly doughnut on the plate 
not 
one minute ago. Who took it without having the courtesy to ask if anyone else 
wanted a piece? Hmm? No one is going to leave this room till the culprit had 
owned up." 

That's why they got to the ground so late. Because of a missing doughnut! I 
always suspected Kamran but Inzy wouldn't hear of it. 

********** 
Mohammad Asif: Well, this is a little embarrassing. When we came to the 
dressing 
room at tea, I felt drained and needed something to revive myself with. I took 
out the herbal medicine my doctor had prescribed and was about to have it when 
Younis asked me what I was taking. 

I explained my doctor at a seminar called Aliens Live Among Us (where I also, 
incidentally, bumped into Sreesanth and Harbhajan Singh). He gave me the meds 
for my tiredness. Younis asked if I knew whether there were any banned 
substances in them. 

"No, Younis bhai, all natural," I said. "My doctor, Hakim chacha, I call him, 
was an astronomical biologist, and he said medicine had moonshine, mushroom and 
poppy flower." 

I sprinkled some on my doughnut but it was grabbed out of my hands by Inzy bhai 
who sniffed at it suspiciously and then took a huge bite. I guess he isn't used 
to Hakim chacha's mix because next minute he had leapt over three chairs, done 
a 
pirouette and grabbed a bat to strum as a guitar. He had just begun to hum a 
lovely bit of Mirza Ghalib's poetry when umpire Hair burst into the room. 
"What's going on here?" he harrumphed. Inzy bhai continued singing. Hair turned 
to him, looking very angry. But suddenly his face crumpled and he began to cry. 
We huddled around him worried, and between sobs he said: "No one has sung me 
such a melody since February 1993." 

Kamran, who I suspect was jealous of Inzy bhai's musical talents, told Hair 
that 
the only reason our captain was singing to him was because he was under the 
influence of some potent meds. 

Enraged, Hair flounced out… you know the rest. 

Reply via email to