What a beautiful piece on Globalisation - the Kargudi way.....

*This is written by Swaminathan S Anklesaria Aiyer, about himself.*
*
Published in The Times of India.

In 1992, I wrote a book titled Towards Globalisation. I did not realise at
the time that this was going to be the history of my family. Last week, we
celebrated the wedding of my daughter, Pallavi. A brilliant student, she had
won scholarships to Oxford University and the London School of Economics. In
London, she met Julio, a young man from Spain. The two decided to take up
jobs in Beijing, China. Last week, they came over from Beijing to Delhi to
get married. The wedding guests included 70 friends from North America,
Europe and China.*
***
That may sound totally global, but arguably my elder son Shekhar has gone
further. He too won a scholarship to Oxford University, and then taught for
a year at a school in Colombo. Next he went to Toronto, Canada, for higher
studies. There he met a German girl, Franziska. They both got jobs with the
International Monetary Fund in Washington DC, USA. This meant that they
constantly travelled on IMF business to disparate countries. Shekhar advised
and went on missions to Sierra Leone, Seychelles, Kyrgyzstan and Laos.
Franziska went to Rwanda, Tajikistan, and Russia. They interrupted these
perambulations to get married in late 2003.My younger son, Rustam, is only
15. Presumably he will  study in Australia, marry a Nigerian girl, and
settle in Peru.*
*
Readers might think that my family was born and bred in a jet plane. The
truth is more prosaic. Our ancestral home is Kargudi, a humble, obscure
village in Tanjore district, Tamil Nadu. My earliest memories of it are as a
house with no toilets, running water, or pukka road. When we visited, we
disembarked from the train at Tanjore, and then travelled 45 minutes by
bullock cart to reach the ancestral home. My father was one of six children,
all of whom produced many
children (I myself had three siblings)... So, two generations later, the
size of the Kargudi extended family (including spouses) is over 200. Of
these, only three still live in the village. The rest have moved across
India and across the whole world, from China to Arabia to Europe to America.
*
*

This one Kargudi house has already produced 50 American citizens. So,
dismiss the mutterings of those who claim that globalisation means
westernisation.
It looks more like Aiyarisation, viewed from Kargudi. What does this imply
for our sense of identity? I cannot speak for the whole Kargudi clan, which
ranges from rigid Tamil Brahmins to beef-eating, pizza-guzzling, hip-hop
dancers. But for me, the Aiyarisation of the world does not mean Aiyar
domination. Nor does it mean Aiyar submergence in a global sea. It means
acquiring multiple identities, and moving closer to the ideal of a
brotherhood of all humanity.
*
*I remain quite at home sitting on the floor of the Kargudi house on a mat
of reeds, eating from a banana leaf with my hands. I feel just as much at
home eating noodles in China, steak in Spain, teriyaki in Japan and
cous-cous in Morocco. I am a Kargudi villager, a Tamilian, a Delhi-wallah,
an Indian, a Washington Redskins fan, and a citizen of the world, all at the
same time and with no sense of tension or contradiction. When I see the
Brihadeeswara Temple in Tanjore, my heart swells and I say to myself "This
is mine." I feel exactly the same way when I see the Church of Bom Jesus in
Goa, or the Jewish synagogue in Cochin, or the Siddi Sayed mosque in
Ahmedabad: these too are mine. I have strolled so often through the Parks at
Oxford University and along the canal in Washington, DC, that they feel part
of me. As my family multiplies and intermarries, I hope one day to look at
the Sagrada Familia cathedral in Barcelona and Rhine river in Germany and
think, "These too are mine." We Aiyars have taken a step toward the vision
of John Lennon.  **Imagine there's no country. It isn't hard to do. Nothing
to kill or die for. And no religion too. My father's generation was the
first to leave the village, and loosen its regional shackles. My father
became a chartered accountant in Lahore, an uncle became a hotel manager in
Karachi, and we had an aunt in Rangoon. My generation loosened the shackles
of religion. My elder brother married a Sikh, my younger brother married a
Christian, and I married a Parsi. The next generation has gone a step
further, marrying across the globe.*
**
*Globalisation for me is not just the movement of goods and capital, or even
of Aiyars... It is a step towards Lennon's vision of no country.*
*
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope one day you'll
join us. And the world will be one.*



-- 
With best wishes

S Chander

Reply via email to