Operating Systems
Most computer users understand that you need an operating system to use a
computer practically, even if it is not clear why. But many users don't.
________________________________
* Tech Support: "May I ask what operating system you are running today?"
* Customer: "A computer."
________________________________
A girl walked into the computer center where I work. She said she was having
problems with her Mac. I asked what kind of Mac she had. In an indignant voice,
she replied, "Duh, Intosh."
________________________________
* Tech Support: "What operating system are you running? Windows 95?"
* Customer: (a little too excited) "95, 97, 98, I've got them all!"
After conferring with her husband, it turned out she owned a Macintosh with
System 8.1.
________________________________
* Tech Support: "What version of Windows are you running?"
* Customer: "I got the computer in 2003, so I think it's a Windows
2003. Or maybe it's a Windows 2004? I got it late in the year."
* Tech Support: "Um, ok."
* Customer: "Is that wrong?"
* Tech Support: "No, no, that sounds about right. Tell me, would you
know what service pack you have for that?"
* Customer: "Well, when I got to the register, the young man who rang
me up said was about the 5th person to buy it. So it might be service pack 5."
________________________________
A kid in my class joined a conversation I was having about older computers.
* Him: "I have the oldest Windows ever at my house. It's Windows 92."
* Me: "Uhhh, there is no such thing as Windows 92."
* Him: "Oh, well it's something like that. I'm pretty sure it's Windows
94."
* Me: "There's no such thing as Windows 94, either."
* Him: "Well it's something like that!"
________________________________
* Tech Support: "What operating system do you run?"
* Customer: "Dial-up."
________________________________
One time I had to walk a Windows 95 user through a particular procedure.
* Me: "First you need to open DOS-prompt. I'll guide you--"
* Customer: "MY COMPUTER DOES NOT HAVE DOS! YOU THINK I RUN THAT
ANCIENT SOFTWARE?" (click)
________________________________
* My Friend: "I just installed Windows 98."
* Me: "Cool. But...it's 2001. Why not Windows 2000 or wait for XP to
come out?"
* My Friend: "Oh, 98 is more easily hacked, so I want it."
* Me: "You want to get hacked?"
* My Friend: "Yes! Wouldn't you?"
* Me: "No...."
* My Friend: "When you get hacked you get a lot of money! That's a good
thing!"
* Me: "???"
________________________________
* My Friend: "What's your operating system?"
* Me: "Linux."
* My Friend: "You better uninstall it!"
* Me: "Why?"
* My Friend: "The government uses Linux to look through your computer
and see your every move. They use it as a security camera into your world."
* Me: "Sure...."
________________________________
* Friend: "I heard about this thing called 'Linux'."
* Me: "Oh, I use Linux."
* Friend: "What is it?"
* Me: "An operating system."
* Friend: "Like Firefox?"
________________________________
* Friend: "Does Windows 98 support Linux?"
________________________________
* Customer: "Do you sell Mac OS X for Windows?"
________________________________
Overheard in a classroom:
* Student: "How much do Windows cost, and do you have to buy each one
separately?"
________________________________
* Customer: "How much do Windows cost?"
* Tech Support: "Windows costs about $100."
* Customer: "Oh, that's kind of expensive. Can I buy just one window?"
________________________________
* Friend: "Hey, cool Mac! Does it have Windows!?"
* Me: (incredulous stare)
* Friend: "Oh, wait, that was stupid. All Macs have Windows."
________________________________
* Customer: (angrily) "You said I would get 98 windows with this
computer. Where are they?"
S.V.SAI BABA
Links to my Blogs
English: http://svsaibaba.blogspot.com
Tamil: http://svsbaba.blogspot.com/
“Good friends are like stars.... You don't always see them, but you know they
are always there”