*Welfare laptop, washing machine shock SC*

New Delhi: The Supreme Court has directed the Union labour secretary to
appear before it after expressing shock over "astonishing" details in an
affidavit that said funds meant for the welfare of construction workers
were being spent on buying them laptops and washing machines.

The affidavit by the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) also said that
less than 10 per cent of the Rs 29,000-crore fund has been spent on the
actual purpose.

A bench of Justices Madan B. Lokur and Deepak Gupta said it was "shocking"
and "extremely distressing" that the funds, collected by the government
through a cess under a law for construction workers, were being "frittered
away" and diverted.

The court then asked the labour secretary to appear before it on November
10 "to understand how the act was being implemented and why it was being
misused, if not abused".


The court, which was hearing a public interest plea filed by a
non-government organisation, had earlier asked the CAG to file a report on
how the fund meant for the welfare of construction workers was being
utilised.

The NGO, National Campaign Committee for Central Legislation on
Construction Labour, had alleged that the statutory cess levied on real
estate firms for the welfare of construction workers was not being used
properly as there was no mechanism to identify the beneficiaries.

The bench said the CAG had revealed a "shocking state of affairs" regarding
the utilisation of the cess collected under the Building and Other
Construction Workers (Regulation of Employment and Conditions of Service)
Act, 1996, and ordered that such exploitation of construction workers by
states or welfare boards must stop.

"For example: we have been shown expenditure having been incurred for
payment of entry tax/value added tax; expenditure incurred for purchase of
washing machines for construction workers; expenditure incurred for
purchase of laptops for construction workers, etc. This is really
astonishing," the bench noted in its order.

"It is quite obvious from the above that the amounts are just being
frittered away, if not defalcated by the concerned welfare boards," it said.

"Apart from the above, we find that huge amounts have been spent towards
administrative expenses while the statute permits only five per cent
expenditure towards administrative expenses."

The court observed that the law was "being misused" as the money collected
for the beneficiaries was being diverted to labour welfare boards or state
governments for other purposes.

"We may note that huge amounts have been collected in the region of Rs
29,000 crore and not even 10 per cent has been spent for the benefit of
construction workers. The amounts, whatever has been spent, appear to have
been spent for the purposes other than for the benefit of construction
workers," it said.

This must be rectified at the earliest, the bench added, asking the
secretary in the Union labour ministry to appear before it on Friday.

Earlier, in 2015, the court had expressed its displeasure over
non-utilisation of Rs 26,000 crore (the amount at that time) by the Centre
and various state governments, saying "it cannot get worse than this". PTI

​Circulated by'
K.Raman.​

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Thatha_Patty" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to