CULTURAL QA02-2021-11

Being  a compilation there may  be errors

Q1         Which is one of the trusted herbal remedies for diabetesproblems?

A1          Sem Sophie Joshua December3-2020 Worked at Diabetes

Seven herbs and supplements fortype 2 diabetes

Diabetes is a lifelong condition that affects the blood sugar and insulinlevels
in the body. Treatment includes lifestyle strategies and sometimesmedication,
but somecomplementary therapies, such as herbs and supplements, may help.

In diabetes, the body eitherdoes not produce enough insulin or produces insulin
that the body does not useproperly.

Herbs and supplements will not cure diabetes and do not constitute astandalone
treatment, but somemay combine with conventional treatment to provide relief
from symptoms andreduce the risk of complications.

Here are seven herbs and supplements that may be of benefit to peoplewith type
2 diabetes.

1. Aloe vera

Aloe vera is a common plant with many different uses. Many people areaware of
its benefits for skin care, but it may also have other benefits,including
slowing the progress of type 2 diabetes.

Findings suggested that aloe vera might help protect and repair the betacells
in the pancreas that produce insulin. The researchers believed this mightbe due
to aloe’s antioxidant effects.

The researchers called for more research into aloe and its extracts to besure
of these effects.

Ways of taking aloe include:

adding juiced pulp to a drink or smoothie

taking capsules that contain aloe as supplements

My note- I could gather from awork man that there are two varieties of Aloe
vera. One is edible and other not edible. One has tobe caaautious.

2. Cinnamon

Cinnamon is a fragrant spice that comes from the bark of a tree. It is apopular
ingredient in sweets, baked goods, and other dishes.

It has a taste that can add sweetness without any additional sugar. It
ispopular with people with type 2 diabetes for this reason alone, but it may
alsooffer other benefits.

3. Bitter melon

Momordica charantia, or bitter melon, is a medicinal fruit. Practitionersof
traditional Chinese and Indian medicine have used bitter melon forcenturies.
People cancook the fruit and use it in many dishes. Some scientists have
beenlooking into its potential medicinal uses.

There is some evidence thatbitter melon may help with the symptoms of diabetes.
One review has noted that people have used many parts of the plantto help treat
diabetes.

4. Milk thistle

People have used milk thistle since ancient times for many differentailments,
and especially as a tonic for the liver.

Silymarin, the extract frommilk thistle that has received the most attention
from scientists, is acompound with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory
properties. These are the properties that may make milkthistle a useful herb
for people with diabetes.

5. Fenugreek

Fenugreek is another seed that may help lower blood sugar levels. Theseeds
contain fibers and chemicals that help to slow down the digestion
ofcarbohydrates and sugar.

There is also some evidence that the seeds may help delay or prevent theonset
of type 2 diabetes.

6. Gymnema

Gymnema sylvestre is a herb that comes from India. Its name means
“sugardestroyer.”

Other tests using gymnema found that people with type 2 diabetesresponded well
to both the leaf and its extract over various periods.

Some people experienced: lower blood sugar levels

higher insulin levels

Using either the ground leaf or leaf extract may be beneficial. But once again,
talk to your doctor about using it before starting.

7. Ginger

Ginger is another herb that people have used for thousands of years
intraditional medicine systems.

People often use ginger to help treat digestive and inflammatory issues.

However, the researchers were uncertain as to how ginger might do this,and they
called for more research to confirm these findings.

People can take ginger:

by adding ginger powder or chopped, fresh ginger root to raw or cookedfood.
brewed into tea

as a supplement in capsule form and by drinking it in a ginger ale

My note- Always take doctor’s advice beforeconsuming any  of the above items
told

Fri Shared by Girija Devi Sushang Agnihotri Updated August 8, 2020KnowsGujarati

Q2         Did the King-Maharaja in olden times also go to the fieldsfor a
toilet?

A2          Girija Devi SushangAgnihotri Updated August 8, 2020 Knows Gujarati

No, the civilization of Indiais very much developed since ancient times. You
will find small rooms in old palaces which used to be toilets. Bundi is the
royal toilet of theRajasthan Fort. This toilet was used only by the royal
family. Thiswas a very convenient parent toilet.

Not only this, toiletshave also been found in the excavation of Indus Valley
Civilization about 5000years ago or in 3100 BC. Both flush toilets and
non-flush toiletshave been found in excavated toilets. Drains have also been
found which were used to clear thewaste.

This is a dry toilet found in the excavation. Like today, tomorrow's
sumptoilets are there. It looks like a western toilet. But it was found 5000
yearsago. This is another toilet found in the Indian style.

It is known from all these discoveries that the people of India had taken care
of sanitationsince ancient times. Lived a well-organized life. Proud to be
anIndian. (PICTURES NOT ADDED)

Q3         What are some interesting facts you know about animals?

A3          Ossai Ceejay 13-2-2020-Catsare total Badasses

I've always admired cats for a ton of reasons; they're very clean, don't leave
droppings all overthe place like dogs, and are real badasses.

Cats have a domineering behaviour, they don't take orders from anyone andare
afraid of almost nothing. A cat doesn't see you as the authority, they only see
you as a larger andmuch clumsier version of a cat.

Like I said earlier, a cat isn't going to take orders from you, it's notgoing
to fetch your stick or your ball, if it seems to come to you because youcalled
it, it probably isn't, it's probably only coming because it wants to.

Another fact that proves theirbadass nature is their hunting success. While
tigers have a 20% success rate, and lions have a 19% success rate(if it hunts
individually), acat has a 32% success rate. Oh, and check this; cats are one of
the few species who sometimeskill JUST for the fun of it.

Part of what makes batman a total badass isn't the fact that he's thestrongest
(he definitely isn't) but the fact that he knows he's not but he justdoesn't
care. This also applies to cats;

I'm yet to find any animal thatscares cats, seriously, catscan go against big
dogs, snakes and in this case, an alligator.

(Dog lovers out there, can your dog stand the sight of a fully grownalligator?
Yeah, didn't think so)Would you prefer a dog or a cat?

Source;12 Times animals messedwith the wrong opponents – NYKS

Q4         Why is every smallest thing in physics named after a plank?

A4          Bob Becksted, Former Sgtat the USMC 64-68; IT Exec, Time Inc.
69-2014. 14-2-2021

It is not named after a plank. It is named in honor of the German physicist Max
Planck.

Q5         What are some interesting facts about Shiva?

A5          Ved Prakash UpdatedDecember 3-2020-B.sc from Maharshi Dayanand
University, Rohtak (Graduated 2019)

Hinduism abounds with legends of miracles; of superhuman deeds of godsborn as
humans; and of mortals claiming to have been visited by one of thevarious Hindu
gods. Butthe following story is quite unique.

A Hindu sights a Hindu god in his dream or has a vision of a god in reallife,
that’s believable because the person reveres that god. But a Christian claiming
to seea Hindu god who ends up saving the man’s life…is something which is
unheard.

Lord Shiva – The Saviour

It was 1879, and the British were ruling India. An officer in the BritishArmy,
Lt. Col. Martin ofAgar Malva, was leading the army in the war against
Afghanistan.

Col. Martin would regularly send messages of his well-being to his wife.The war
went on for a long period of time and Lady Martin stopped getting hismessages.
This naturally worried her.

One day, while riding on herhorse, she passed by the temple of Baijnath
Mahadev. The sounds of the conchand mantras attracted her. She went inside the
temple and came to know that the Brahmans were worshipping LordShiva.

The Brahmans saw her and noticed that she was sad and tense. They askedher what
the matter was and she explained everything to them. They told her that Lord
Shivalistens to the prayers of devotees and takes them out of difficult
situations.

On the advice of the Brahmans, she started the ‘Laghu-rudri Anushtthan’of the
Mantra: ‘Om Namah Shivaya’, for 11 days. She prayed to Lord Shivathat if her
husband reaches home safely, then she would get the templerenovated.

On the last of the ‘Laghu-rudri’, a messenger came and gave her a letter.It was
from her husband. He had written – “I was regularlysending messages to you from
the battle grounds, but suddenly the Pathanssurrounded us from all sides. We
were entrapped in a situation where there was no scopeof escaping death.
Suddenly, I saw a Yogi of Indiawith long hair, carrying a weapon with three
pointers (Trishul). Hispersonality was amazing and he was maneuvering his
weapon with a magnificentstyle. Seeing thisgreat man, the Pathans started
running back. With his grace, our bad timesturned into moments of victory. This
was possible only because of that man ofIndia wearing a lion skin and carrying
a three-pointer weapon (Trishul).That great Yogi told me that I should not
worry and that he had come to rescueme because he was very pleased with my
wife’s prayers.”

Tears of joy fell down LadyMartin’s eyes as she read the letter. She fell into
the feet of Lord Shiva’sstatue and burst into tears.

After a few weeks, Col. Martin returned. They both visited the Baijnath Mahadev
Temple to thankLord Shiva for saving Col. Martin’s life. It was then that he
realizedthe striking resemblance of Lord Shiva to the Yogi who’d appeared on
thebattlefield to save his life.

Both became devotees of Lord Shiva. They helped inrebuilding the temple
premises and donated money for its maintenance. TheBritish couple’s name is
engraved on the slab inside the temple premises.Till date, the Baijnath Mahadev
Temple is the only Hindu temple in the countrythat was restored by British!

Har Har Mahadev

Q6         What exactly is Echidna? Is she a goddess or something else?

A6          Sharmaine Ellorin, knowsEnglish14-2-2021

Echidna, (Greek: “Snake”) is amonster of Greek mythology, half woman, half
serpent. Her parents were either the sea deities Phorcysand Ceto (according to
Hesiod's Theogony) or Tartarus and Gaia (in the accountof the mythographer
Apollodorus); in Hesiod, Tartarus and Gaia are the parentsof Echidna's husband,
Typhon.

Among her progeny with Typhon were:

Ladon, the dragon that protected the golden apples of the Hesperides
anotherdragon that protected the Golden Fleece

The Hydra The Chimera Orthus and Cerberus(Infernal Hounds)

Her offspring by Orthus werethe Sphynx and the Nemean Lion.

Answer 2 Kyle Breaux, Agnostic Atheist with an EpicureanHumanist Life
Philosophy 13-2-2021

Echidna is a beast in Greekmythology, depicted as half-woman and half-snake.

She was depicted as being Typhon’s consort, and is most commonly said tobe the
daughter of Phorcys—a primordial god said to rule over the waters beforeOceanus
and Poseidon.

Phorcys was seen as the sea equivalent of Gaia and Ouranos, and other
olddeities alleged to be of that generation like Tartarus.

Q7         Why does an Indian bride throw rice during Vidaai?

A7          Supriya Singh 12-2-2021-Lifeand Living · I write blogs on Life and
Livings.

During the Vidaai, Hindu brides perform a ritual in which they throw a handful
of riceover their shoulders, thrice. The bride’s mother standing just behind
her catches therice in her Dupatta. It may seem like a wastage of precious
grains, butthis ceremony has a lot of emotional and meaningful value for the
bride’sfamily.

In the Hindu religion, a daughteris considered to be the manifestation of
Goddess Lakshmi, who is the deityworshipped for prosperity.

When the daughter is stepping out of her parents’ house, she throws rice to
bless them andreassure them that despite her departure, their house will be
brimming withwealth and prosperity.

There’s another symbolic significance of the bride throwing rice over
hershoulders. It also signifiesthat she is thankful for what her parents have
done for her ever since herchildhood.

>From that moment onwards, she will be living on her own but will
>continuepraying for her parents’ well-being and prosperity.

Why only rice is used?

Rice is one grain that is astaple in multiple cultures Hindu, Islam, Sikh, etc.
Even in the West, anewlywed couple is showered with rice to bless with
prosperityand fertility.

Rice is considered to be asymbol of prosperity and fertility. Have you ever
noticed that we filled ametal pot (Kalash) with rice and keep coconut above
itduring our Hindu Puja rituals?

When the bride arrives at her newhome (husband’s place) she kicks a pot filled
with rice. The bride then steps into a plate full of vermillion and walksinto
the home, leaving the vermillion prints behind.

Q8         Can we offer jasmine to Lord Shiva?

A8          Sunitha Parapatla November24-2020-Devotee of God Shiva and a Home
maker

Yes.

God Shiva accepts anything His devotees offer Him with love and thus there is
no set protocol for Shiva's worship.

And Jasmine flowers are blessed by Shiva and are used in worshipping theMahadev.

There is a story of how Jasmine flowers were usedfor Shiva's worship. GodShiva
is referred as Mallikarjuna and Goddess Parvati is referred asBrahmarambika on
the Srisailam mountain.

According to Shiva Purana, when Lord Kartikeya and Lord Ganesh competefor
encircling the world thrice and lastly when Ganesh is declared as thewinner,
Kartekeya leaves Mount Kailash disappointed.

God Shiva goes in search of Karthikeya as Goddess Parvati requests Shivato
bring back Her son. Shiva reaches the Srisailammountain and there He sits on
the top of mountain with Mallika (Jasmine) plantcreepers encircling around Him,
under an Arjuna tree.

To bless His devotees He manifested Himself as the Jyothirlinga andGoddess
Parvati transforms herself into a honey bee orBrahmara and stays near the
jasmine plant. From that day onwards,Jasmine flowers are being offered to God
Shiva 🙏🙏

This is the reason Shiva is called Mallikarjuna and Parvathi is calledGoddess
Brahmarambika.

Om Srisaila Mallikarjunaya namahaOm Mallikarjuna Brahmaraya namaha

My note- This legend is new tome. Though I have heard mallikarjuna, I never
thought the name related tojasmine. In Kerala in Siva temples sandal wood paste
and Tulsi leaves are given as prasadam. In Tamilnadu Holy ashis given as
prasadam.

Q9         What obscure invention changed the world?

A9          Shared by Girija Devi February4-2021

Float Glass

If you have ever looked through the original windows of a very old house,like a
house that datesbefore 1950 you might notice something amiss. The glass in the
window appearsto be a little thicker in the bottom than the top as if the glass
is slowlymelting as the decades have progressed. The windows are so
distortedthat the images you see through the window also appear distorted.

The truth is the old glass inthe window pane looked like that from when it was
first made. The glass was made when a huge ball of glass was blown into alarge
sized cylinder then the cylinder was cut in half and flattened thenallowed to
cool down. The flattened glass would then be cut into smallersections in order
to be inserted into the multifaceted window frames such asthe following:

When the sections were inserted, the builder tended to have the thickerends
facing down. Windows for houses were not as clear as eye glasses,telescopes, or
microscopes because manufacturing very clear glass wasexpensive. Clear glass
required intense polishing.

In the late 19th century molten glass was drawn through steel rollers.Glass
windows were made in mass production using this method but there
wereirregularities in the final product and the glass was not very thick.

Then in the 1950s in GreatBritain, the process of float glass was invented. The
process involves pouring molten glass onto molten metal, usually tin. Theglass
floats on top of the metal then it cools in a very flat and clear shape. It
also became possible to makeclear glass sheets that were 25 mm thick. By 1960
the process wasapplied to mass production then all of the sudden houses were
able to havelarge windows like this:

So if you see the glass windowson a very old house and they appear to be
melting that is not the case. They were manufactured like this until window
glassmaking improved.

Today practically all glasswindows you see in buildings were made using the
float process. Only specialized decorative windows such as stained orpatterned
glass would be the exception.

The invention of the float glass process became the standard process butnot too
many people today are aware how it revolutionized the industry.

I would like to thank Jan Krusat and Mike Hook for adding moreinformation to
include in my answer.

All the above QA are based onQuora digest to me on 14-2-2021. Quora answers
need not be 100% correct answers

Compiled and posted by R. Gopala krishnan on 15-2-2021