PATAM (PICTURE)

Dear friends,

I can recollect the framed photographs of National leadersdisplayed in my
primary school. These were black and white printed picturesfrom my recollection.

I have no recollection of my grandparents  photographs in my home during
childhood days.Or even drew one by artist. Probably drawing could be a very
costly affair andnot affordable.

While I was studying in middle school, in the 7thstandard, class photograph was
taken. Normally three copies were printed and itwas kept in school. Invariably
it was framed. The photograph was pasted to aMOUNT.  This was the position
during1955’s. We could see our group photo in the school.

While I was studying in high school, giving copies to allstudents opting and
paying for it    became a practice. Printing names of theteachers, students and
school has come to existence in the mount.  Knowing the cost many opted to be
in thephotograph. This was during 1960’s. A photograph essentially required a
MOUNT. Many studios could not giveprint, because sufficient mount were not
there!!

These photographs had headmaster and class teacher in thecentre in the first
row. The class monitor had his position standing behindclass teacher.

On those days as if it was the decorum, most used to standfolding their hands.

During this period, one or two photo studios appeared inthe towns. Even
developing of the film was done taking it to major town.

On those days camera was a big equipment.   Film had standard sizes and bigger.
Thephotographer would  arrange persons, lookthrough the lens of camera , ask
people to set right face and smile, not toclose the eyes, adjust dress after
viewing through lens, and most important,photo could be taken only with
sunlight.

We had to tell for rectangular photographs early. Mostcould take only in square
films.

Flash was a later introduction. Most photographs were taken in studios other
thangroup photos of schools and colleges.  Photography was told as PATAM
PITIKKAL inMalayalam.

SWAMI PATAM meant the images of Gods drawn andcolour printed. Even in my child
hood days we had swami patams in house. Thesewere prints and in colour.

PATAM also meant thefilms screened in theatres. The box in which the film rolls
were received was called PATAPETTI.Normally while talking about cine films, it
was called patam. We could seeboards in theatres- “Nalaemuthal puthiya patam”-
From tomorrow onwards new film is going to be screened.

 Nostalgic look in toPatam.

Sincerely,

Gopala Krishnan 29-8-2013

Reposted on 16-2-2021after editing and updating.R.Gopalakrishnan

1. Kannatachhaphoto

With all directions of the photographer, in group photos afew could blink the
eyes while the photo was taken. Normally the photographer would take two or
some times three snaps andselect the best, where morepersons have not closed
the eyes. Those wearing spectacles were asked to remove it to avoidreflection.

2. Elichha pal.

While the photographer asks to smile, some would not smileand to make them
smile some in the group will cut a joke. The joke could make them laugh andthe
snap could be on that occasion. The teeth would  appear more open, especially
with those havingslightly protruding teeth.

3. Photo fromgroup photo.

Negatives were with the studio, and from the photograph onecould enlarge a
person approaching the studio. Such enlarged photographs could  be seen in many
houses.

I am having my parent’s photograph by such an enlargementof my marriage photo
in 1997.

4. Negative onsignature and cost.

The negatives were kept by studios. Most would  not give, and if required it
was given undersignature and payment.  Probably on those days therewere
negative rights or something like that.

While pass port size photographs became a must for manyapplications, negatives
were given for a payment. We could take print in otherstudios also.

4. Colour film.

It was by about 1979’s colour photography has come somewhatpopular. But still
camera was at large. Only studios could have them. By taking more photographs,
thepriority of Mount got reduced a little. Albums started appearing. Itwas to
say a revolution.

Having an album was a big them. Many started removing photographs from mount
and keep in Album.

An album contained years of photographs and in differentsizes. One could remove
and keep photographs in the albums giving priority.

When guests come,invariably album was shown. Or to pass the time they used to
ask- Is there noalbum?

5. Development ofphotographic habit.

We may be recollecting a period about 15 years ago whencameras were about
becoming common, but we had to purchase and load film totake photos. Since
filmwas costly, every care was taken to ensure they are used to take only very
muchneeded pictures. Film had to be developed in studios in dark room.

But this was the period of photographic habit. Those whohave been in foreign
countries started to bring cameras.  While going back, some left to their
brothersor parents.

6. Take a snap.

When guests come, it has become a habit of taking snaps. Afew snaps. Cost of
film was important. Prints were sent to guests. It was a reward.

7. Girlsphotograph.

On those days girl’s photographs were for alliances with anote- return
photographif not processing the alliance. But many parents of bride groom would
not send back. On third or 4threminder, a card may come, sent long back. Boy’s
side felt it is costly to return photograph. Some would  reply their son has
not returned. Girl’s sidewould  be waiting to get the photographback. Meagre
exceptionswere there .

This was a real fact. Probably on account of this now a daythe boy’s side is
least responded from girl’s side.

8. Albums

Albums for functions started appearing by 1990’s.  At one time the photographs
were inserting toalbum sheets. Later it started to appear as pasting type. Now
it is  printing to special paper . This avoidedasking by relatives to have  the
printwhere they are present!!!

People started to prepare albums of tour etc. Later came casualphotos and
albums.

9. Lamination

A process called lamination for preserving importantphotographs appeared. No
framing. We could see photographs laminated of thechildren wedding, and of
parents on 60th birth day etc. They foundan important place in show cases.

10. No time to seealbums

The keeping of photos in show cases with lamination reducedthe fancy of albums.
Most started to see the show case photos.

Now too albums aremade of weddings. But the old fancy has gone out to see them.
Very few are interested to see videos  though prepared paying very high amout.

11. Digitalcameras

Now with digital memory and digital cameras we can takepictures, and delete
those not coming to our standards.  Taking pictures with digital cameras
andmobile phones have become common and even a child of 8-10 years
takephotographs.

Before the popular hand cameras, it was studios takingstill photographs. Casual
photographs were not known. We had to go to studios totake photographs.

There was a period about 35 years back hand cameras wereluxurious. Only rich
could afford them. Even colour film was not socommon.  But today with camera in
mobileand each house having a digital camera, casual photos have become more
popular.

Photos are transmitted after transferring to laptops tofriends, relatives,
published through face book etc.

12. Studios.

Still studios take photographs and print. Their artisticstyle would  not come
to others. Pass port size photo they takein their digital camera and makes the
print out. Family photos,function photos are taken by them with skill. They
have their own beauty.

But only thing is most taking occasional photo throughtheir mobiles or digital
camera or note books or iphone, the old fancy has goneto see photographs.

13. Disposal ofswamipatam

With magazines, calendars, are all having swamipatam, andduring navarathri,
there is no limit of getting swamipadam/ idols, it hasbecome one’s own method
to dispose them.

14. Aal itthiripadamanu

A person not keeping virtues and showing false image istold as Patam.

15 Snake hood

A snake raised its hood is told in Malayalam- Pampu Patameduthunilkayanu