KARAPPANIYARAM 

Two days back I had to an urgent bank work at Adyar. Beingvery hot I hired 
taxi. I completed my works by 1.30 PM.  

I asked my driver-Go to Grand snacks.Practically Grand snacks was empty at that 
time. I asked for karapaniyaram. Thecounter lady asked whether to eat or pack. 
I said packing. Later I realised- Iam not destined to eat karappaniyaram on 
that day. Hence I said so. 

I ordered a few sweet items too for my wife and grandchildrento come shortly. I 
ordered a hot Halwa piece unable to control the tongue onseeing bringing it 
with hotness and smelling. I ate halwarelishing every bite sitting on a chair. 

 After sometime thelady told- Sir your items are ready, Kindly come inside pay 
and take. I paidand another person gave me a pack with smile. I was not feeling 
the hot smellof karapaniyaram but hesitated to ask. 

On reaching car- Driver asked- Sir, You completed meals there.I said no, I just 
made a few purchases only and sat in the car. I reached home with theenjoyment 
of having Karapaniyaram for evening snack. 

Though we get Karapaniyaram in other restaurants also, fromgrand snacks it is 
special. I did not felt the passing of about an hourreaching the home back. 

After serving meals, my wife asked- What you obtained fromGrand snacks- I said 
the different items- Jangiri, Sonpapopodi, Parippu boliand Karapaniyarm for ME 
– ME emphasising. 

She opened the bags and found everything except Karapaniyaram. Sheasked whether 
it is fallen in the car- I said no. A thorough check was made byme. No 
karappaniyaram with thenga chatni and special chutni. 

Reluctantly I called Grand snacks quoting my bill numberand packer name and 
missing of Karapaniyaram on compulsion of my wife. Theymade a counter check- 
karappaniyaram was not packed. It was not yet prepared. Whatelse. They replied 
Ican show the bill and collect Karappaniyaram on any day. They do notknow, I am 
from Tambaram, and not a frequent visitor to Grand snacks at Adyar, 

The interest of eating and enjoying karappaniyaram wasgradually diminishing. 

For evening coffee, I opened the banana chips tin- My wife smilingly said 
–Karappaniyaram. She has not read the story Poovan pazham of VaikkamMuhammad 
basher, though it reminded me of it. She added- You emphasised FOR ME the  
karappaniyaram. So nothing… 

I could have eaten two pieces and asked to pack balance ofkarappaniyaram. I did 
not do so. I should have asked for items of packing-seeing not much hotness. I 
did not do so. Even when the driver asked I shouldhave checked the items at 
least half way. I did not do so. I thought in mind- I am not destined to 
eatkarappaniyaram on that day. I may be destined to eat in another day.. 

Somehow bill was with me. On another visit after a month Ipurchased some items 
and showed the old bill and Karapaniyaram was neitherpacked nor eaten. The 
counter lady immediately asked to prepare the quantity andI ate it. They could 
not recollect actually- I knew. For modesty they prepared. 

Karapaniyaram is a chettinad preparation. It is prepared ina batter somewhat 
similar to ulundu vadai adding ginger cut, some spices, slightly more chilli; 

Update- Now the Karapaniyaram from Adyaranadabhavan is somewhat equal to Grand 
snacks. Adyar anadabhavan size islarger. 

Bonus  Those who want to eat sweet kozhukkatti, it would be ready in 
Adyaranadabhavan between 4 PM and 5 PM. What a taste for the sweet pudding 
insideadded with elachi, grated medium coconut. 

Writer- R. GopalaKrishnan dated 6-5-2016. Reposted on 2-4-2021 after editing 
and updating . 

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Thatha_Patty" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/thatha_patty/1511342376.2261159.1617346909526%40mail.yahoo.com.

Reply via email to