MUSK MELON-MULAMPAZHAM

Dear friends,

Today about 10 AM one vendor was selling musk melon in the road. My
wifepurchased one and asked whether she may purchase one more. I said
inaffirmative since Mulampazham is one fruit  I like most. It is slightly
sweet.

After half an hour she bought after peeling the ripe one, with smashingthe
flesh  to a few uneven pieces in amedium bowl.  She announced, it is for eating
now, afternoon and night.

I did not ask why for three times in a bowl. However it was more than forone
time. After eating three pieces I kept the bowl closed.

Mulampazham availability is lesser in bazar comparing to Krishani,
anothervariety, slightly different in skin appearance and internal flesh is
hard in it.Mulampazham flush is not hard and slightly more sweet.

Most probably cool drinks stalls procure mulampazham more. Mulampazhamcannot be
stored on groundas a heap, like watermelon since due to weight of the melon
above,bottom one may break.

In Kerala though summer is like in Tamilnadu, sometimes more, stillgetting
vellaripinchu, tender cucumber, mulampazham etc. were difficult while Iwas in
Trivandrum. Sometimes these may be available now. I thought today myposting can
be about Mulampazham-musk melon.

Sincerely,

Gopala Krishnan 16-5-2021.

1 Introduction

We all are familiar with this delicious summer fruit but may not be  aware of
its potential benefits. You would behappy to know that it is not only an
incredibly refreshing evening snack of thesummer but also a great nutritional
source.

Muskmelon, also referred to as ‘sweet melon,’ got its name from its strongmusky
smell. It is a yellow-colored fruit with tempting sweetness and apleasant
aroma. They are abundantly available in the summer season and havehigh water
content, making them hydrating and cooling.

>From its flesh to skin, and seeds, all parts of muskmelon fruit havehealth
>benefits if applied or consumed the right way. The skin and seeds can be
>groundinto a paste to make a facemask. It is a free beauty treatment
>thatpeople are practicing for ages. Applying the paste to your skin can help
>reduceany signs of dryness, blemishes, acne, etc.

Moreover, for pregnant women,muskmelon juice is highly recommended by doctors
due to its high folate content that helps inpreventing water retention by
eradicating excess sodium from the body.

My note- Mostly in homes we eatthe flesh and discard skin and seeds.

1a Nutritional Facts of Muskmelon

The numerous health benefits of muskmelon can be attributed to its
richnutritional content that is necessary for healthy body functioning.

100 grams of muskmelon contains:

Calories – 34 Dietary fiber – 0.9 gram

Fat – 0.19 gram Protein– 0.84 gram

Carbohydrates – 8.6 grams

2 Ten Health Benefits of Muskmelon

Everybody loves the taste of cold, juicy muskmelon during the summers.While it
is amazingly sweet and crunchy, it has various health benefits thateverybody
must know. The following are some of the proven health benefits ofmuskmelon
that you should look into.

#1 Muskmelon for the healthydigestive system

Muskmelon has high fiber and water content, which makes it a great natural
healer for peoplesuffering from indigestion, constipation, and other digestive
system issues.The fiber content in muskmelon helps in regulating proper bowel
movements witha calming and cooling effect on the stomach. Fiber adds bulk to
the stool andkeeps hunger pangs at bay. Furthermore, the high content of
vitamin C mineralin muskmelon help in treating stomach ulcers.

#2 Muskmelon helps in regulatingblood pressure

People suffering from high blood pressure are recommended to addmuskmelon to
their diet as this potassium-rich fruit helps in relaxing theblood vessels,
aiding smooth in-flow of blood. Potassium acts as a vasodilatorthat keeps your
blood pressure in check and ensures that it doesn’t elevate.

#3 Muskmelon promoted hair growth

There are studies that have proved the potential benefits of muskmelonfor hair
growth. The vitamin A content in muskmelon could do wonders for yourhair that
no other product can. Vitamin A is known for stimulating theproduction of
sebum, which is an oily secretion of the sebaceous glands thathelp in keeping
your hair healthy. Moreover, directly applying muskmelon pulpto your scalp can
help boost hair health, resulting in long, lustroushair.

#4 Muskmelon may support thevision and eye health

Muskmelon contains three potent antioxidants – beta-carotene, zeaxanthin,and
lutein – that are well known for supporting eye health. Eating muskmelon
regularly canhelp prevent the development of age-related vision loss and
support proper eyefunction throughout your life.

Research indicates that regularly consuming foods that are rich in
theseantioxidants along with vitamins A and C, such as muskmelon, may lead
tohealthy eye functioning with proper vision. Beta-carotene is what gives
muskmelon its bright color.According to health experts, beta-carotene is
responsible for proper eyefunctioning, aiding good eyesight, and age-related
vision problems. So,you should introduce muskmelon in your diet for a healthy
eye.

#5 Muskmelon may boost immunity

Muskmelon is rich in vitamin C content, which is a powerful antioxidantthat can
help in boosting your immunity. Apart from having high vitamin Cconcentration,
muskmelon also contains phytochemicals, beta-carotene, andvitamin A that help
in keeping your gut healthy. Your gut health is directlyassociated with your
immune system. The good bacteria in your gut help with theproper functioning of
the body. Moreover, vitamin C helps in stimulating theproduction of protective
white blood cells that help destroy numerous dangerousmicroorganisms, viruses,
bacteria, and other toxins that could invade your bodyand spread diseases.

#6 Muskmelon forbeautiful-looking skin

One of the significant benefits of muskmelon is that it is great for your
skin.For starters, the antioxidants in muskmelon help in removing any
impuritiesfrom your skin. Muskmelon is also packed with skin-friendly collagen,
which isa protein that helps in keeping the skin tissues soft and tight
whilepreventing it from withering. Since muskmelon has vitamin C content
inabundance, it helps in maintaining the natural glow of your skin.

While you can eat the flesh or make juice out of it, you can ground theseeds,
pulp, and skin into a paste and apply it on your skin all over the body.It is
one of the cost-effective and efficient ways to treat your skin.

#7 Muskmelon may help combatstress

We live in a world where our lifestyles have become more hectic. Eatingcertain
foods can have a stress-relieving impact on your mind, as well. Muskmelon,
being rich in potassium,is considered a stress-relieving food that can help you
feel more focused andrelaxed. Potassium in muskmelon can help normalize the
heartbeat andpromote the supply of oxygen to the brain. This helps your brain
to calm downand focus.

#8 Muskmelon for arthritis

Muskmelon has anti-inflammatory properties that can help relieve painassociated
with arthritis. Arthritis can cause inflammation in the joints ofthe knees and
legs, which can be extremely painful. It makes doing dailyactivities like
walking, standing, sitting, etc. more strenuous. Peoplesuffering from
rheumatoid arthritis are prescribed to include foods that arehighly
anti-inflammatory. Eating muskmelon can help prevent oxidative stress inyour
bones and joints, thereby reducing inflammation. Several studies indicatethat
including muskmelon in your daily diet could help in dealing withinflammation
and bone-related issues like osteoporosis

#9 Muskmelon cures toothache

One of the surprising benefits of muskmelon is that it can help you
curetoothache and other dental related issues. A study published in the US
NationalLibrary of Medicine in 2016 emphasized the benefits of muskmelon for
treating abnormal dental pain.According to experts, eating raw muskmelon or
rinsing your mouth with asolution made of muskmelon skin can help in dealing
with dental pain.

#10 Muskmelon is beneficial forlungs

Regular intake of muskmelon replenishes your body with vitamin A. Over time,
the vitamin A contentin your body depletes due to several factors, which
include smoking, pollution,ingesting pollutants, consuming adulterated food
items, etc.

This all makes your lungs get weaker day by day. Vitamin A in your bodyhelps in
rejuvenating the lungs, allowing you to breathe fully and properly.This is
especially beneficial for those who are passive smokers and kidssuffering from
breathing issues. The nutrients and minerals in muskmelon helpin relieving you
from congestion in the lungs.

3 Healthy Ways to Consume Muskmelon

While people prefer eating muskmelon raw, right out from therefrigerator, there
are some mouth watering muskmelon recipes that can enhanceyour experience.

Muskmelons are healthy, delicious, and about to be in season! So makesure that
you get your batch of fresh muskmelons for the whole family. It wouldbe a
blunder to miss out on the goodness of this mouth watering fruit. Not
onlymuskmelon boasts plenty of health benefits like aiding blood pressure,
treatingdental pain, managing stress, etc. but it is also a part of plenty of
recipesthat you can easily make at home.

4     FrequentlyAsked Questions About Muskmelons

The following are the common health-related FAQs about muskmelons thatyou
should look into.

Q. Does muskmelon increase weight?

A. Muskmelons are rich in potassium that helps in maintaining theoverall
bodyweight. Moreover, the fat content in the fruit is also negligible, so it
doesn’t increase weight.

Q. Can I eat muskmelon if I havediabetes?

A. Muskmelons are safefor people with diabetes. However, it is recommended to
consumemuskmelon alongside foods that contain plenty of protein, fiber, and
healthfulfats.

Q. What is the best time to eatmuskmelon?

A. It is recommended toconsume muskmelon before 7 pm. Since muskmelon is
slightly acidic, ifconsumed at night, it may hinder the process of digestion.

Q. Does muskmelon increase heat inthe body?

A. Muskmelon is a perfect summer fruit. It is high in water content andcan take
care of the fluid loss that our body experiences during this season.It also
prevents heat-related disorders during the summer.

Q. Is muskmelon good for skin?

A. Yes, muskmelons are a great addition to your diet for
young-looking,refreshing skin. It contains all the essential vitamins A, B, and
C that helpsyour skin in staying young, healthy, and supple.

Q    Whatare benefits of muskmelon?

A It controls blood pressure: Muskmelons are rich in potassium, whichhelps in
regulating the blood pressure.

 Muskmelon strengthens your eyes:Since the fruit features high doses of vitamin
A and beta-carotene, it can helpimprove your eyesight and reduce your risk of
cataract.

Q Can we eat muskmelon daily?

A    Muskmelon can be included inthe daily diet to assist in weight loss as it
is low in calories and high infiber. Moreover, it is also beneficial for eye
health due to its high vitamin Acontent. Muskmelon is beneficial for the skin
as it is rich in antioxidants.

Q Can we eat musk melon empty stomach?

A    Due to the presence of fibreand water, fruits likepapaya or melon are not
advised to be taken on an empty stomach as they dilutethe pH level of our
digestive system.

Q    Whatshould not eat with muskmelon?

A    Avoid mixing your watermelons,muskmelons, cantaloupe and honeydews with
other fruits. Try not to mix acidic fruits, suchas grapefruits and
strawberries, or sub-acidic foods such as apples,pomegranates and peaches, with
sweet fruits, such as bananas and raisins for abetter digestion.

Q    Ismelon high in sugar?

Most melons are low sugar, too. Cantaloupe and honeydew melons areespecially
sweet and delicious, even though they only contain 8g of sugar per100 grams.
Watermelon can also be a tasty and refreshing snack, but it is surprisingly
high in sugar.

Q           Can diabeticseat musk melon?

Muskmelon can certainly be safely added to a diabetic meal plan even if the
glycemic index of muskmelonis 65.

The reason is the low glycemic load of this fruit which is only 3.14.

5 Origin of musk melon

The origin of melons is not known. Research has revealed that seeds
androotstocks were among the goods traded along the caravan routes of the
AncientWorld. Some botanistsconsider melons native to the Levant and Egypt,
while others placetheir origin in Iran, India or Central Asia.Still others
support an Africanorigin, and in modern times wild melons can still be found in
some Africancountries

6 Background

The melon is an annual, trailing herb. It grows well in subtropical orwarm,
temperate climates. Melons prefer warm, well-fertilized soil with gooddrainage
that is rich in nutrients, but are vulnerable to downy mildew andanthracnose.

Melons are monoecious plants. They do not cross with watermelon,cucumber,
pumpkin, or squash, but varieties within the species intercrossfrequently. The
genome of Cucumis melo was first sequenced in 2012.

7 Uses

In addition to their consumption when fresh, melons are sometimes dried.Other
varieties arecooked, or grown for their seeds, which are processed to produce
melon oil. Still other varietiesare grown only for their pleasant fragrance.
The Japanese liqueur, Midori, isflavored with melon.

8 History

There is debate among scholars whether the abattiach in The Book ofNumbers 11:5
refers to a melon or a watermelon. Both types of melon were known in Ancient
Egypt andother settled areas. Some botanists consider melons native to
theLevant and Egypt, while others place the origin in Persia, India or
CentralAsia, thus the origin is uncertain.

Melon was domesticated in West Asiaand over time manycultivars developed with
variety in shape and sweetness. Iran, India,Uzbekistan, Afghanistan and China
become centers for melon production.

9     Some miscellaneous information.

Muskmelon has a ribbed, tan skin and a sweet, musky flavor and aroma.Overthe
years, many unique varieties of muskmelon have emerged,
includingcantaloupe.Muskmelon is delicious, refreshing, and easy to add to your
diet.Itcan be cut into cubes and enjoyed alone or as part of a tasty fruit
salad. Itcan also be churned into a fresh sorbet for a healthy way to satisfy
your sweettooth.

Additionally, you can add this nutritious melon to salads or smoothiesfor a
burst of extra flavor and nutrition.What’s more, you can wash, dry, androast
the seeds of muskmelon for a satisfying snack. Alternatively, trysprinkling
them over soups and salads.

10   SUMMARY

The flesh and seeds of muskmelon can be enjoyed in many ways in maindishes,
desserts, and snacks alike.

Muskmelon is a popular type of melon that’s celebrated for its sweetflavor and
impressive nutrient profile. Cantaloupe is a specific variety ofmuskmelon.

Aside from supplying many important vitamins and minerals, muskmelon mayhelp
improve your immune function, promote weight loss, and reduce inflammation.

Furthermore, it makes a delicious and nutritious addition to your dietand can
be used in a number of different dishes.