Pranam
1   DOGs

The first thing to note is: there’s no such thing as “the dog.” Just like
humans, each dog is different. So while scientists are working hard on
collecting data about the way dogs experience the world, it’s important to
remember that their findings aren’t designed to give you a blueprint to
your particular pet. The studies can be interesting, useful guides, but the
real joy of dog cognition is in getting curious about the way your own dog
thinks.

While you get to know your dog’s mind, remember that there are many
different kinds of intelligence. Some dogs might excel at gauging social
situations, others might be adept at learning words, while still others
might have great problem-solving abilities — or your dog might have some
other cognitive skill entirely.  The research had proved that dog and Human
minds are corelated.

Although every dog is unique, there is enough evidence to indicate that
species-wide one of the really special things about dogs is how well they
understand humans. “They are very attentive to and responsive to us, which
is a great social cognitive skill,” Dr. Alexandra Horowitz, head of the Dog
Cognition Lab <https://dogcognition.weebly.com/> at Barnard College,
Columbia University, told me.

Researchers don’t entirely agree on why dogs are so socially savvy
<https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/news/dogs-social-skills-study-shows/>.
The prevailing view is that their social intelligence is evolutionary: {
dogs are found 14000 years back as per fossils discovered} the pets we know
today, breeding has favored qualities that make dogs good companions to
humans, such as friendliness and an affinity for us, which make them good
at reading our behavior. There’s also a theory that each dog simply
acquires his or her social intelligence through the sheer amount of time
spent around humans – that’s why puppy socialization
<https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/training/puppy-socialization/> is so
important.

The answer might be a combination of these two factors – of evolution and
socialization. Either way, the result is a species with a remarkable
fondness for and understanding of humans.  AGE OF DOMESTICATIONS IS IN MANY
1000S OF YEARS; and dogs are seen in in Hinduism scriptures too; a tribe
Pulayan reared dogs for hunting; Kshatriyas had dogs to spy. Today Military
forces have dogs in the front to identify mines; and USA troop left many
dogs when they retreated from Afganisthan on aug 31 2021.

This manifests in many ways. Zachary Silver, a Ph.D. student in the Comparative
Cognition Lab <https://caplab.yale.edu/> at Yale University, studies the
way dogs interpret the social world. “They’re extremely skillful at
following our communicative cues, especially our points and our gazes,” he
told me. “But it even goes a step further: they pay really close attention
to how we interact with each other.” For instance, there’s evidence to
suggest that, in some contexts, dogs will notice whether a human is helpful
or unhelpful, and favor the helpful person.

Silver’s current research focuses on dogs’ understanding of humans’
perspectives: he’s working to build on previous findings indicating that,
in some contexts, if food is hidden such that a dog sees one person observe
the hiding and one miss it, they are more likely to take a hint about its
whereabouts from the person who watched it being hidden. This suggests that
dogs might be drawing all sorts of complex conclusions about what we know
and feel.

As Silver observes, “Dogs do pretty sophisticated things regarding
understanding our own perspective.”

The Dog’s Nose Knows

If humans want to understand what it’s like to be a dog, the nose is an
excellent place to start. It’s well known that dogs have a much more
powerful sense of smell than humans, but did you know just how much more
powerful? As Alexandra Horowitz outlines in her *New York Times* bestselling
book “Being a Dog: Following the Dog Into a World of Smell”:

*Explosive-detection dogs smell as little as a picogram—a trillionth of a
gram— of TNT or other explosive. What might it be like to notice a picogram
of an odor? … The average cinnamon roll has about a gram of cinnamon in it.
Sure, the human nose is on it, from the moment we open the door of the
house. Now imagine the smell of one trillion cinnamon rolls. That’s what
the dog coming in with us smells when we enter.*

And  GOD and DOG are two sides of a coin  and protects when close to them
 (KR)   I HAD 3 DOGS AND THE LAST WAS AN Alsatian (German shepherd reared
from 7th day of high breed) named by me as Venkatesh. My wife used to feed
it with her hands; whenever I was away from my home for weeks, HE (he) did
his job so diligently; and the veterinarian used to be frightened of his
postures and would receive the injections only if I am there asking him to
take it. None can near him; he had not bitten any one; but if any one steps
in he will jump nowhere from a corner and arrest the man or woman, placing
the forelegs on his/ her chest ,waiting for us to command or instructions;
when my children return back from the school even at a distance of 500 ft
hearing theory cycle bells, HE (he) will run inside barking to my wife
their arrival; it was (all the three) a pure vegetarian dog. KR IRS 15921

*2 *There is nothing wrong in having idols at home ; when Veena is kept in
a showcase decorating the home, what if a pancha loha is kept either as a
decorative piece or Pooja piece. All are stones only when we sit on; when
we do puja it becomes an idol of worship. Only illegal and purchased from
the thieves are prohibited.

3     *Heat transfer: Conduction, Convection & Radiation*

* What is heat transfer?*

• Heat transfer is the exchange of thermal energy between physical objects.

• Heat will naturally flow from a hotter to a colder object (2nd Law of
Thermodynamics)

• Thermal equilibrium happens when all involved objects and their
environment reach the same temperature.

• There are essentially three ways that heat can be transferred:
*Conduction*; *Convection*; & *Radiation*

*Conduction     *• Conduction is the main method of heat transfer within
solid objects or between solid objects in contact with each other.

• Molecules in the hotter part of the object vibrate faster than the
molecules in the cooler parts. The faster moving molecules transfer part of
the energy to their slower moving neighbours – so transferring heat through
the object

• A ‘steady state’ is achieved when the heat entering the object at one
side is balanced by that being emitted from the other side. Throughout the
period of time, the object’s heat remains constant.

• Metals are highly conductive whereas gases are not.

*Convection*

• Liquids and gases are fluids.
[image: image.png]

*Typical example of convection used to warm space*   (air conditioners)
• Convection is the movement of heat via currents as heated molecules move
from hot places to cooler places.

- When molecules are heated in a fluid, they vibrate faster.

- Higher temperature fluid molecules expand the space they occupy.

- The resulting heated space is less dense compared with the cooler spaces

- The heated, less dense fluid rises to replace the denser, cooler fluid,
which in turn sinks into the warmer areas.

- The repeated rising and falling of warming and cooling liquid or gas sets
up the convection current.

- Through warming up one side of a solid container of fluid, the convection
currents can transfer heat to the other sides; or heat between two solid
objects sandwiching a fluid.

 *Radiation*
*Electromagnetic Radiation & Electromagnetic Spectrum (courtesy Astronomy
News)*

• All objects absorb and emit thermal radiation (aka infrared
electromagnetic radiation).

• Heat energy is transferred via waves, not particles.

• The Earth is heated through thermal radiation from the Sun.

*Solar radiation heating concrete floor*

• Thermal radiation is emitted as a result of the random movements of atoms
and molecules in matter. Since these atoms and molecules are composed of
charged particles (protons and electrons) their movement causes the
emission of electromagnetic radiation, which carries energy away from the
surface of the body.

• Thermal radiation is absorbed well by : - Water, water vapour, glass,
wood, brick, stone, concrete, asphalt, copper,

• Thermal radiation is reflected well by :  - Aluminium foil        KR IRS
15921