CULTURAL QA02-2022-22

BEING  A COMPILATION THERE MAY  BE ERRORS 

Q1            The marriage proposal of a handsome army doctor has comeby his 
parents but they will not allow the girl to wear a salwar suit orwestern only 
rajputi dress. What do I do?

A1            Bhuvana Rameshwarmarried for three decades 11h

If I were you.. I would marryhim. He is in the army.. Wow! He is handsome.. 
Pluspoints He is a doctor…noble, respected profession.

I will be very loving andrespectful to him and soon he will agree to all my 
decent dress choices. Salwar kameez, kurta, long t-shirts, jeans coverour 
bodies better than sari - blouse combo. There is no waist, stomach or any side 
show in many modernIndian dresses.

Rajasthani women wear thin saris, head covered as a mark of respect 
.Traditionalsaris. But these are also rajasthani…These are more practical and 
userfriendly.

Here inlaws do not matter, northeir views. May beyou can wear traditional 
rajasthani dresses or saris for festivals and familyfunctions. Besides army men 
are usually placed away from hometown,away from inlaws, so get married.

Q2            What prevents you from buying an iPhone as a middle-classIndian 
in 2022?

A2            Prasanna Bhalerao M.Sc. in Electronics & Physics, Fergusson 
College, Pune6h

I will tell you and give a hint to my thinking … cost is not an issue forme. 
Honestly, I can't figure out what the ₹80,000 odd iPhone will bring and how it 
will benefitme. For me RoI and VFMare very important. A ₹15k phone does all the 
work for me very nicely, which is mostly social networking.

Q3            You gave the best education to your children. Posteducation, they 
left India after putting you in an old age home. Do you regretgiving them the 
best education?

A3            Bhuvana RameshwarFormer Teacher, Sun

Children are born through us but not for us. We shouldn't cut their wingsfor 
our self interests.  

Many children get educated, do go away abroad. Why, some even go away tobigger 
cities far from their villages and small towns. They go away for betterjobs, 
better earnings, have better prospects and better quality life.

But most adult children wanttheir parents to live comfortably even if 
continuing in their native towns withgood food, better health care, house help, 
gadgets etc. They also send money regularly if parentsare in need. In case of 
health emergencies, family functions, festivalsmany visit the parents without 
fail . This equation also depends on parent -adult children relationships. 
Sometimes out of contact means out ofmind and thus parents do feel abandoned . 
So keeping in touch by phonecalls, chats, mails is a must even if swallowing 
your pride sometimes.

Many ask parents to move over abroad. Getting them residency rights,green card 
etc does happen. The problems is parents find itdifficult to settle down abroad 
as they are so used to life in native country,like India is home to most 
elderly Indians. They feel like fish outof water abroad. Most children are okay 
with both parents living in nativecountry and visiting them abroad once in two 
to three years minimum, unless theyhave mobility issues. And adult children 
with grandchildren visit them thealternate years.

We visited Australia. It was ahappy stay but I felt loss of freedom. We are 
dependent on them for going out. Except for our daily walks the rest isn't 
thateasy. Besides we do not have our extended family or our daily set 
ofneighbours, neighbourhood shops, temples, our local tours etc to pass time. 
Thefreedom to drive away or take a train journey whenever, wherever is lost.

There we spent time mostly athome watching yupp TV, an app that relays Indian 
programs. Smart phone was another time pass but it getsboring after some time. 
Day tours and visiting other places of sightseeing werejoyful with a welcome 
relief from being at home. Stay is good for a month afterthat it is slightly 
difficult.

I also recall here girls calling only their mothers to help during 
childdelivery and after that forgetting them. Some girls call mil too, only to 
help out with baby and as a babysitter as they may be both working. Some 
mothers are literally cooks andhousekeepers minus pay in their son’s or 
daughter’s houses abroad. Usuallyfathers are left behind. Now this is not fair 
and sad. This is another reasonwhy parents hate going abroad to their 
children's houses. Some parents also transfer most their money abroad and are 
left paupers intheir own country. Or adult children dispose properties 
forcefully.

Another strong point to note is not everybody is happy in an old ageHome, 
unless both spouses live together there. According to a survey on such Homes.. 
women are more adjusting here asthey form some kind of friendships, discussing 
woes etc. with other old women,hearing their stories, gossiping, gardening etc. 
But it verydifficult for men to find good friends, hence most of them are 
lonely anddepressed and die early compared to women. Some elders can't afford a 
Home as there is no goodsaving.

So the current, prevalent norm is when one parent passes away theyconvince the 
other parent to move in with them abroad permanently .

This is what I have told our son and dil who live abroad. As long as we are 
able to managewe will live in India. Later move in with them if needed or if 
one of us passesaway.

Now do I regret? .. I sometimes I miss them a lot. At nights I imaginethe 
earth.. what a far away country I sent our son away.. I actually imagineseeing 
India to Australia view from space with the vast deep seas and oceanbelow and 
then crossing the Equator down to the huge island far below . Thescene is very 
depressing and stressful.

But if I imagine their life in India, our grand child's over 
competitiveschooling in India, our son’s long hours, our dil ‘s travel by bus 
to work, thebangalore traffic jam, the pollution, the power cuts, the noise, 
the dailywoes…I am convinced theyare better of there. We have lived our life 
well. It is their turnnow. And they should live it happy and well. After all it 
is one life for themtoo. And visiting them every alternate year works for now. 
So far fine. 

My note- An answer carefully studiedall aspects 

Q4            What is it like doing a 20-hour or more flight in apassenger 
plane?

A4            Eric Houg Frequenttraveler, infrequently happy about it. Feb 9

Meh. I did Houston to Dubai and I think that was 19 hours. Typically,once you 
get past about 9 hours, it’s all the same. You watch movies, read abook, chat 
with your travel buddy, sleep etc. It’s just really not a big deal.

Even if you’re a nervous flyer, like me, you can only be terrified for solong 
before you get over it and just get bored.

I have a few tricks that I use that I will share with you.

Every hour, on the hour, I liketo get up an do a lap. Thatis, I will walk all 
the way to the back of the plane, use the restroom, Hit thegalley for a water 
or a munchie, go all the way to the front, at then circleback around. Again, 
all of it where I need to use the bathroom or not. It justhelps break up the 
monotony.

Any time they give you food, takeit and eat. It breaks up the monotony.

Bring a laptop or tablet and puta BUNCH of movies on it.Some long flights don’t 
have good entertainment options and it can be difficultto find out before you 
are on the plane. I bring my Ipad with about 20different movies and TV shows 
saved on it. It doesn’t even matter if it’s a badmovie, it’s just to passthe 
time.

Try not to get too wound up about it. Just relax and enjoy the ride. You’ll get 
therewhen you’ll get there.

Q5            Do we need to service air conditioners every year?

A5            Gopala Krishnan ,former Assistant General Manager 1996-2004 at 
Department of Telecom(1966-2004)Answered just now

Whatever be the make of air conditioner quarterly filter cleaning service and 
half yearly fullservice would avoid spending in 4–5 thousands when faults 
occur.Once filters are cleaned one can feel the difference in cold air flow

Q6            Why do they attach a little bell to the collar of a catback in 
the days?

A6            Anita Brown Worked atfamily pet shop. Sold cat & dog supplies and 
foodThu

They put bells on to scare preyanimals and birds. Most catswill learn to stalk 
with them on. Cats are tremendous hunters, nothing stopsthem. If you wish 
toprotect the birds, keep your cat inside. It is safer for the cattoo. The 
bells are irritating to a cat's ears. Mostwill fight the collar and bell 
because of the noise.

I have to tear those bells off Marley's collars. He has a variety ofcollars so 
he can be fashionable. His collars are all breakaway collars so hecould get 
loose should he ever get tangled.

Marley is a total inside catbut we like him to wear a collar with ID. People 
see a collar on a cat, they know it belongs to someone. IfMarley ever got 
outside by accident, he would have ID to bring him home. Marleyalso has a 
microchip. We will take no chances with our darling Marley. Marley'sfavorite 
collar, the classic bowtie.

Q7            How do you know that it's time to replace your hard disk(hard 
disk drive/HDD) and SSD (solid state drive)?

A7            Vladislav Zorovprogramming enthusiast .Dec 26

For hard disks, you almost always get warnings, from various 
diagnosticprograms. When you see S.M.A.R.T. errors, or you have sudden slow 
downs andweird sounds… it’s probably time.

For SSD, I guess you replacethem when your computer suddenly doesn’t want to 
boot :D

So far I haven’t had an SSD fail, but I’ve heard there are no warnings,so I 
always have backup running in the background, to my NAS (which uses twohard 
disks in mirroring configuration, with some lights on the front panel thatshow 
drive health, and email notifications and everything, so hopefully it’sunlikely 
that one fails, nobody notices, and then the other fails as well).Moreimportant 
data also gets encrypted and replicated to cloud storage, so I alwayshave 3 
copies (two local, one remote).

My note- I was under theimpression just like mother board, hard disc is also 
costly in computers/Laptops. While purchasing a new computer I desired to 
replace faulty disc also onthe old one. It worked and both are working now. 
Hard disc of laptop cost meabout 3000-00. It was about 3 years back. 

Q8            Whose idea is it that we have weekdays and weekends? Whendid it 
start historically?

A8            Matt Riggsby MAArchaeological Studies, Boston University Thu

It’s a product of the developmentin labor relations in the 19th and early 20th 
centuries.

Before the rise of industrialization, people had much less structuredworking 
lives. They tended to work long, hard hours some times of year andlittle or 
none at others (for example, during planting and the harvest vs.during the 
winter). Withthe establishment of factory work, time became more structured. 
Urban workersin general needed to report to work at the same time on the same 
days,so more and more people started to see time in terms of working vs. 
non-working days. Or rather, for manypeople, a non-working day. Europe and its 
diaspora being overwhelminglyChristian, Sunday was a day off. Other days 
involve ten to twelve hours ofwork.

But labor movements and scientific studies of labor started to push backon 
that. Workers wanted to have lives outside of their labor and agitated 
forshorter days. This was supported by studies of accidents and 
productivity,which indicated that tired workers were less productive and more 
prone toaccidents causing injury, death, and delays in production. Work days 
became progressively shorter, and part or all of Saturday aswell as Sunday 
became a day off of work. Somewhere around the 1930s, twodays off became the 
norm.

Q9            Why don't rich people choose to get Lasik/Lasek surgerywhile 
still wearing glasses?

A9            Amy Chai MD, InternalMedicine, MS Epidemiology Fri

I will not risk unnecessary surgery on my eyes. I also get goodcorrection with 
glasses, so it really is just for looking prettier.

Plus, I am a doctor. So things splatter. I do not want splattery thingsin my 
eyeballs. Also, I have full UV protection, which should help preventmacular 
degeneration and eye wrinkles. Glasses are protective andgood. Sowhat if they 
look dumb.

Q10         What are the things you should never leave in the car in thewinter?

A10          Chris Ebbert I haveowned and driven over a hundred cars. Jan 27.

I have learned the hard way thatcans of carbonated beverages are better not 
kept in the car if you seetemperatures below freezing. Icame upon a can of 
light beer from a roadside café I had left in one of thedoor cup holders of my 
Toyota RAV4, which had been parked in my driveway for about ten days 
intemperatures around minus fifteen Celsius.

It was the strangest sight: There was only a strip of tin with abottom- and a 
top lid dangling from it. The actual beer had disappeared withouta trace.

To this day, I cannot imagine where the beer went. The car interior isclean. 
But the can hasquite clearly exploded.

All the above QA are from  Quora website  on    21-02- 2022. Quoraanswers need 
not be 100% correct answers 

Compiled and posted by R. Gopala krishnan on 22-02-2022

 

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Thatha_Patty" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/thatha_patty/895845698.556436.1645487810165%40mail.yahoo.com.

Reply via email to