EMOTIONALLY INTELLIGENT AND CHANGING RULES AS A TOOL I was struggling.
As a small-business owner, I decide my own working hours. And as someone who craves structure, I like to start my day at the same time every morning. But when my youngest daughter was born, all of that went out of the window. She didn't sleep well--which means my wife, who was breastfeeding, didn't sleep well. And that meant that, instead of starting my day at the normal time, I often needed to take time in the morning to care for the baby so my wife could get the rest she desperately needed. Still, I couldn't fight the feelings of anxiety. As the clock ticked away, I saw the morning--and my most productive hours--slipping away. Then, one morning, I decided to make a change--one that would save my business and my relationship with my family. To do so, I needed to use the rule of reframing. What is the rule of reframing? And how can it help you to change your perspective, think different, and reduce anxiety? Here's how it works. The rule of reframing is an emotionally intelligent technique <https://eqapplied.com/> based on cognitive psychology. According to the American Psychological Association, *reframing* means reconceptualizing a problem by seeing it from a different perspective. "Altering the conceptual or emotional context of a problem often serves to alter perceptions of the problem's difficulty and to open up possibilities for solving it," says the APA. <https://dictionary.apa.org/reframing> In the case of my situation, reframing certainly helped me do all of those things. I purposefully changed the thought dominating my mind from: I'm getting such a late start. I hate this.to It's great that I'm so flexible! We need this. This helps because it was the same situation that *aggravated* me--actually having the flexibility to start later--that was also enabling me to support my wife in a time of need, and spend priceless time with my new daughter. The rule of reframing can look different depending on what you're dealing with. But it always involves seeing a problem from a different angle, with the goal of breaking a cycle of harmful thoughts and behaviour. For example, to apply the rule of reframing to a problem you're dealing with, you might ask yourself: - How serious is this? Am I getting worked up over nothing? - Can I change something about how I view the problem, that would completely change how I feel about it? - How can I handle things differently--so I can direct my emotional energy to bigger, more important issues? Same problem. Different perspective. And by changing the way you think and feel about a problem, you change the impact the problem has on you. Doing so can save your business, your relationships--and your sanity. KR IRS 22 3 23 -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Thatha_Patty" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected]. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/thatha_patty/CAL5XZor3BGk-JhabiGc4zdWXXqnHJyPnsXvxE8dbggZguqMg_g%40mail.gmail.com.
