Thank u Venka; a magician spinner; after nadkarni one who can deliver
maiden overs; Kishore song dedicated
https://youtu.be/9dcBy2uXL7E   FILM YARAANA AMITAB KR IRS 271023

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Chittanandam V R <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 at 19:06
Subject: Tribute to Bishen Singh Bedi
To:





For those who know Pakistan Cricketers of 70s, you would remember Intikhab
Alam and here he is :
โ€œ ๐—•๐—ถ๐˜€๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ป ๐—ฆ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด๐—ต ๐—•๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ ๐—ฝ๐—ฎ๐˜€๐˜€๐—ฒ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐˜„๐—ฎ๐˜†: โ€˜๐—Ÿ๐—ผ๐˜€๐˜ ๐—ฎ
๐˜†๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—ป๐—ด๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐—ฏ๐—ฟ๐—ผ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ, ๐—น๐—ผ๐˜€๐˜ ๐—ฎ ๐—ฝ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐˜ ๐—ผ๐—ณ ๐—บ๐˜† ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐˜โ€™,
๐—บ๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—ฟ๐—ป๐˜€ ๐—ฃ๐—ฎ๐—ธ๐—ถ๐˜€๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ปโ€™๐˜€ ๐—œ๐—ป๐˜๐—ถ๐—ธ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฏ ๐—”๐—น๐—ฎ๐—บ

๐‘จ๐’‡๐’•๐’†๐’“ ๐‘ฉ๐’Š๐’”๐’‰๐’‚๐’ ๐‘บ๐’Š๐’๐’ˆ๐’‰ ๐‘ฉ๐’†๐’…๐’Š'๐’” ๐’…๐’†๐’Ž๐’Š๐’”๐’†,
๐‘ท๐’‚๐’Œ๐’Š๐’”๐’•๐’‚๐’'๐’” ๐‘ฐ๐’๐’•๐’Š๐’Œ๐’‰๐’‚๐’ƒ ๐‘จ๐’๐’‚๐’Ž ๐’”๐’‚๐’š๐’”: '๐‘ฒ๐’‰๐’–๐’…๐’‚
๐’‰๐’‚๐’‡๐’Š๐’›, ๐’Ž๐’š ๐’‡๐’“๐’Š๐’†๐’๐’…. ๐‘ฒ๐’†๐’†๐’‘ ๐’‚ ๐’ˆ๐’๐’‚๐’”๐’” ๐’๐’‡ ๐’“๐’†๐’… ๐’˜๐’Š๐’๐’†
๐’“๐’†๐’‚๐’…๐’š ๐’‡๐’๐’“ ๐’Ž๐’†. ๐‘ผ๐’๐’•๐’Š๐’ ๐’๐’†๐’™๐’• ๐’•๐’Š๐’Ž๐’†!'

(From the Indian Express)

                  ----

Who will call me every then and now in the evening and will request me to
sing a Louis Armstrong song? Who will give me compliments about my singing?
Who will pull my leg about some of my random dismissals during my playing
day?

I am heartbroken. I have lost a part of my heart today. I canโ€™t express in
words how I am feeling. I have lost a friend, a younger brother. Last year,
around the same time, we met at the Kartarpur Sahib Gurdwara. He forced me
to sing Louis Armstrongโ€™s songs, held my hand, we smiled, we cried. Those
were some of the most beautiful few hours of my life. I can still recall
his smiling face, waving us goodbye once he crossed the border.

I have known him since 1971. I was playing county cricket for Surrey.
Bishan was there with the Indian team for their England tour. The first
time we interacted was in a match during that tour. India was playing
Surrey and they had fielded three spinners, Prasanna, Chandrasekhar and
Bishan. I hit two or three sixes off Bishanโ€™s bowling. All of them were
over his head and those were massive ones. After the third six, he came to
me and said โ€œKaptaan ji dusre bhi bowler hai, mujhe baksh do, mere peeche
kyu pad gaye (Captain, there are other bowlers as well. Please show some
mercy, why are you after my life).โ€

After the dayโ€™s play, he came to Surreyโ€™s dressing room. I was dying to
talk to someone in Punjabi. Then we never looked back.

The same year, we spent five months in Australia playing for the World XI.
There were players from six or seven different countries. Gary Sobers was
the captain. I was the vice captain. Bishan came up with the idea that
since it is a long tour, we should at least meet once a week outside the
ground. I made a Sunday club. Once a week, we used to hang out. We used to
eat, drink, sing and dance. I used to sing for them. This is where he
listened to Jazz for the first time and fell in love with Louis Armstrongโ€™s
songs. We were similar in every sense.

People always talk about his action, and how great a bowler he was. I used
to tease him โ€˜Oye Sardar tu bowling karta hai ya Ghalib ke sher sunata haiโ€™
(You are bowling or you are reciting Ghalibโ€™s poem). Such a beautiful
action he had.

He was a magician with the ball but besides that, he was a great human
being. I have never seen anyone as genuine as Bishan. There was no fakeness
in him. He was the same inside out. I used to get worried because of his
personality. Whenever I used to warn him, โ€˜Bishan, sometimes it is okay to
be diplomatic.โ€™ In his younger days, he would reply, โ€˜I will try.โ€™ After
his retirement, he would say, โ€˜ab toh aadat daal lo (At least get used to
it now).โ€™

I can go on and on and on about Bishan. It is indeed a sad day for world
cricket. We have lost a gem. Our friendship will continue till the time I
am alive. He loved me like his elder brother. I loved him like my younger
brother. I may never sing Louis Armstrongโ€™s songs. Maybe, once we meet in
another life.

Today, I will dedicate a Kishore Kumar song, another favourite singer of
ours. This, from the movie Yaarana, is for Bishan, โ€œTere jaisa yaar kahaan,
kahan aisa yaarana, yaad karegi duniya, tera mera afsana.โ€

Khuda hafiz, my friend. Keep a glass of red wine ready for me. Until next
time!โ€

What an emotional farewell message upon the demise of Bedi!

Great souls!


Received from Venkatnathan.

Chittanandam

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Thatha_Patty" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/thatha_patty/CAL5XZoryA7xiJkVKDdpGVQsLzYE%3DGqLkqCEohwxcaUfSE-SPeA%40mail.gmail.com.

Reply via email to