CULTURAL QA 03-2024-06

Allthe below   QA are from Quora DIGEST to me  on   06-03-2024.

Selected quora answers generallyinteresting including jokes are included Still
they   need not be 100% correct answers. I am only a compiler.

Compiled and posted by R. Gopala Krishnan, 80,    on 06-03-2024.

Q1      What aresome of the greatest examples of presence of mind?

A1      KapilKumar, life turns bad when you lose your faith in it 9y

One day a woman with her 5-year old son visited herrelative’s house.While she
was talking, the little was sitting quietly as he was getting bored.Seeing
this, that relative brought a jar of candies, opened it and asked theboy to
take some candies by himself.

But the little boy refused to take candies. That man asked him again andagain,
but he refused.

That man thought maybe the child was shy so he put ahandful of candies in boy’s
pocket.

When they returned home, she asked him as why hedidn’t take candies by himself
and from where he learnt such good manners. Tothis the boy replied

“Mom, I am 5-year old, myhands are small. I would have got few candies if
Iwould have taken them by myself.”

Q2      One daythe professor in the college asked the students that whatever is
there in thisworld was created by God, right?

A2      ChauhanBabu Nath,Mon

Everyone said, “Yes, God has created it.”

The professor said that this means that evil is also a thing createdby God.

When the professor said this, a student stood up andsaid, don't come to
thisconclusion so quickly, sir.

The professor said, why? Now everyone has said thateverything is created by
God, then why are you saying this?

The student said, Sir, I will ask you two small questions.Then after that I
will accept your point also.

The professor said, "Ask."

The student asked, "Sir, does cold exist in theworld?"

The professor said, of course it is. It is hundredpercent. We feel the cold.

The student said, "No sir, there is no cold at all. Itis actually just the
feeling of absence of heat. Where there is no heat, we feel cold."

The professor remained silent.

The studentthen asked, "Sir, does darkness exist?"

The professor said, "Of course it is. It is darkat night."

The student said, "No sir. There is no darkness atall. It is dark where there
is no light."

The professor said, “You carry on with your point.”

The student again said, "Sir,you teach us only light and heat. You never teach
us dark and cold. There is nosuch subject in physics. Sir, just like that, God
has created only good.Now where there is no good, wesee evil. But evil was not
created by God. It is just the absence ofgood."

Actually thereis no evil anywhere in the world. This is just the name of our
lack of love, trust and faith in God.

***Share goodness whenever and wherever you get a chance inlife. If goodness
increases then evil will not occur.

My note*** Two very beautiful sentences I read now-

Q3      What aresome of the greatest examples of presence of mind?

A3      SaurabhRai, Worked at Self-Employment Updated 6y. It is just a small
story of the great Indian Swami Vivekananda -Wikipedia

When Swami Vivekananda went to USA, a lady asked him tomarry her.

When Swami asked the lady about what made her ask himsuch question. The
ladyreplied that she was fascinated by his intellect. She wanted a child of
such anintellect. So she asked Swami, whether he could marry her and give
achild like him.

He said to that lady, that since she was attractedonly by his intellect, there
is no problem. “My dear lady, i understand Yourdesire. Marrying and bringinga
child in to this world and understanding whether it is intelligent or nottakes
very long time.

Moreover it is notguaranteed.Instead, to fulfil Your desire immediately, i can
suggest a guaranteed way. Take me as Your child.You are my mother. Now onYour
desire of having a child of my intellect is fulfilled.

The lady was speechless…

PC :Swami Vivekananda' s answer to a American ladywho proposed to him

Q4      What aresome sarcastic one liners?

A4      ChauhanBabu nath, 5h

Light travelsfaster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you
hear them speak.If Iagreed with you we’d both be wrong.

Evening news is where they begin with ‘Good evening’,and then proceed to tell
you whyit isn’t.

If you think nobody cares if you’re alive, try missing a couple of payments.

I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted pay checks.

Didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was blamingyou.

God might love stupid people. He made SO many.

Worrying works! 90% of the things I worry about neverhappen.

A little boy asked his father, “Daddy, how much doesit cost to get married?”
Father replied, “I don’t know son, I’m still paying.”

Q5      What arefive things senior citizens should not do at the age of 65 and
over?

A5      Mrs Minati,Ex teacher Tue

Never sit idleat home. Manypeople prefer walking rather than doing exercises
because going gym is wastageof money for them. Doing workat home and doing
exercise in gym is altogether two different things. OutsideYou mingle with
people and refresh yourself . Even if you can’t go to gym youcan do some sort
of yoga or stretching exercises in nearby park with your groupof friends.

Never ever think that why to buy new clothes or shoesor bags for me ? I am
getting old ! A big NO . Try all latest outfits with confidence . It boosts
yourconfidence.

Don’t stop eatingproteins of any kind if you are consuming. It keeps your
muscles tight andprevents from sagging.

People say oldones can’t digest. It’s not so. If you consume regularly it will
go with you at any age.Don’t forget to take multivitamins intermittently.

Don’t forget togrow a kitchen garden . Working in the garden keeps your body
flexible and mind fresh.Close to the nature is close to the God what I have
heard. Don’t know but I talk to myplants while taking care or watering them.

Never give unnecessary advice to youngsters. Do thisor do that . Just listen to
them and nod your head in affirmation.We can’t vibe with younger ones as there
is a generation gap I feel. Besidesthat present generation is quite smart.
Let’s mind our ownbusiness and remain fit and healthy.

I am a senior citizen and these I follow.

Q6      What aresome of the best real life examples of presence of mind
witnessed by you?

A6      AbhijjithVenkkatesh, Software Engineer at Texas Instruments Updated 5y

Class 9. Physicsclass.So our 9thgrade physics teacher was a strictperson with a
cracky voice. No one dared to even answer her back.

She had taught us some concepts over the semester andwe had this CCE evaluation
pattern. (one followed in CBSE schools). Soaccording to this pattern, there was
some weightage allotted to assignments.She knew that if assignments were given,
it would be copied and a chain processof the same would be followed.

So she came up with this problem statement.

Make a working model illustrating physics concepts. Nogroup work.

That's it. No more information. She wanted the sameto presented in two days.

So, one of my friends wasn’t aware of this project to besubmitted as he was on
a holiday.

The day arrived. Students came up with cranky andsophisticated models. I had
done a simple one too.

So, myfriend was doomed and puzzled to see an entire class getting ready after
themorning assembly.

He asked me what's the occasion and I narrated theproblem statement.

All he did wassmile.

I was puzzled as to why he was smiling. He asked me for a ball. Igave him the
cosco ball we used to bring to school secretly for playing in therecess breaks.

The bell rang. Physics ma’am was in. Students went up on the stage
andillustrated their models. Now it was his turn.

He just carried the ball to the stage. The teacherwas puzzled.

The next 5 mins defined him.He started with explainingthe Newton's first law.
The definition of inertia.

The ball falling through the atmosphere is a goodexample of this principle.
Just prior to release, the velocity of the ball iszero, the ball is at rest.
The weight force acting on the ball is balanced bymy hand. There is no net
force on the object, and the object would remain atrest indefinitely. If I
release the ball from my hand, the object is subjectedto a single force, the
gravitational attraction of the earth. Since there is noinitial air resistance,
the object begins to free fall and accelerate. But as the object
velocityincreases, it encounters air resistance, or drag which opposes the
motion.

The magnitude of the drag depends on the square ofthe velocity. The drag
increases until it is equal to the weight. At thatpoint, there is again no net
external force on the object, the accelerationgoes to zero, and the body falls
at a constant terminal velocity. The magnitudeof the terminal velocity depends
on the relative magnitude of the weight, thedrag coefficient, the air density
and the size of the ball.

He gave theabove explanation with one event : dropping the ball. Also, he used
the blackboardto highlight the new terms. We saw the passion in his body
language.

The look on myma’ams face was priceless. She never did smile/appreciate any of
the previous demos. All that sheexpected from him initially was to state the
law and get down from stage. But this one was close to her heart.

For once, Indian education system saw a change.

EDIT Many people have asked me how exactly I rememberhis words.

I have taken the above from a source as a reference.But nevertheless, the
concept conveyed was the same.

My note- Physics studied youngsters can follow it. Elders have to recollect to
follow. Others mayvomit it.

Q7      What isthe most interesting fact that you know and I don't, but I
should?

A7      MarkCoatse, Studied Psychology & History (Graduated 2005) 3y

1. In the 1400sa law was set forth in England that a man was allowed to beat
his wife with a stick nothicker than his thumb. Hence we have 'the rule of
thumb.'

2. Each king in a deck of playing cards represents agreat king from history:

Spades - King David,Hearts - Charlemagne,

Clubs -Alexander the Great,Diamonds - Julius Caesar

3. In Shakespeare's time, mattresses were secured on bedframes by ropes.When
you pulled on the ropes the mattress tightened, making the bed firmer tosleep
on. Hence the phrase......... 'goodnight, sleep tight.'

4. It was the accepted practice in Babylon 4,000 years ago that for a
monthafter the wedding, the bride's father would supply his son-in-law with all
themead he could drink.

Mead is a honey beer and because their calendar waslunar based, this period was
called the honey month, which we know today as thehoneymoon.

5. In English pubs, ale is ordered by pints andquarts...

So in old England , when customers got unruly, thebartender would yell at them
'Mindyour pints and quarts, and settle down.'It's where we get the phrase'mind
your P's and Q's'

6. Many yearsago in England, pub frequenters had a whistle baked into the rim
or handle of theirceramic cups. When they needed a refill, they used the
whistle to get someservice.

'Wet yourwhistle' is the phrase inspired by this practice.

7. In 1696, William III of England introduced a propertytax that required those
living in houses with more than six windows to pay a levy. In orderto avoid the
tax, house owners would brick up all windows except six. (The Window Tax lasted
until 1851,and older houses with bricked-up windows are still a common sight in
the U.K.)As the bricked-up windows prevented some rooms from receiving any
sunlight, thetax was referred to as“daylight robbery”!

Now, there you have the origin of these phrases.