Ramayana of Valmiki   Chapter 108 - A brahmin utters words contrary to
dharma  Book 2 - Ayodhya-kanda
<https://www.wisdomlib.org/hinduism/book/the-ramayana-of-valmiki/d/doc423947.html>
Charawaka vs Rama //filth to be countered

As Shri Rama <https://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/shrirama#purana> thus
instructed Bharata <https://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/bharata#purana>, a
brahmin named Javali uttered these words contrary to dharma
<https://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/dharma#purana>: “Well-spoken, O
Raghava <https://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/raghava#purana>, but it is
not for you to think as common men, for you are a man of understanding and
also a philosopher. Consider well, O Prince, a man has neither a real
friend nor an enemy, he enters the world alone and leaves it alone also. He
who thinks ‘This is my father’ or ‘This is my mother’ and becomes attached
to this relationship is without sense. From the standpoint of right
reasoning, none belongs to any. As a man travelling from his own village to
another, remains for the night somewhere on the way and leaves at dawn, so
father, mother, wealth and family remain with a man for a brief space and
the wise do not become attached to them.

“O Chief of Men, you dost not, being youthful, merit the path of suffering
spot with thorns; it ill becomes you to abandon your father’s kingdom.
Return to Ayodhya <https://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/ayodhya#purana> and
rule over that prosperous land. The goddess protecting Ayodhya, devoted to
you, awaits your return. O Prince, enjoy those chosen pleasures which befit
a king and divert thyself in the capital as Indra
<https://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/indra#purana> in Amaravati
<https://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/amaravati#purana>. Dasaratha
<https://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/dasharatha#purana> is nought to you
nor you to him, the king is one person and you another, therefore, follow
the advice I give you.

“The father’s seed is but the remote cause of man’s birth, since if it does
not enter the mother’s womb, it cannot fructify; the true source of
conception is the womb of the mother. The king has departed to the place
destined for all mortals. Why dost you claim this false relationship and
distress thyself in vain, O Rama
<https://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/rama#purana>? I grieve for those who,
abandoning the pleasures of the world, seek to acquire merit for felicity
hereafter and sink to an untimely death, I do not grieve for others. Men
waste food and other precious things by offering them up yearly, as
sacrifices in honour of their departed ancestors. O Rama, has a dead man
ever partaken of food? If food that is eaten by one, nourishes another,
then those who journey need never carry provision on the way. Relatives
might feed a brahmin, in his name, at home!

“O Ramacandra <https://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/ramacandra#purana>,
these scriptural injunctions were laid down by learned men, skilled in
inducing others to give, and finding other means of obtaining wealth, thus
subjugating the simple-minded. Their doctrine is ‘Sacrifice, give in
charity, consecrate yourselves, undergo austerities and become ascetics’. O
Rama, be wise, there exists no world but this, that is certain! Enjoy that
which is present and cast behind you that which is unpleasant! Adopting the
principle acceptable to all, do you receive the kingdom offered you by
Bharata.”

Chapter 109 - Shri Rama replies in words based on the Vedas

Book 2 - Ayodhya-kanda
<https://www.wisdomlib.org/hinduism/book/the-ramayana-of-valmiki/d/doc423947.html>

Shri Rama <https://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/shrirama#purana>, patiently
giving ear to the utterance of Javali, replied with a due sense of judgment
and in words based on his belief that those duties enjoined in the Vedas
<https://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/vedas#hinduism>, should be fulfilled.
“O Muni <https://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/muni#purana>, that which you
have spoken with the desire to please me, is not authorized, nor are your
admonitions just, since, even the most cursory analysis proves them to be
false. O Sage, in the assembly of the good, men who are not self-subdued
and who are wanting in integrity and those who act contrary to what is
ordered by the scriptures, are not honoured. It is his conduct that renders
man virtuous, a coward or a hero and transmutes impurity to purity. Should
I embrace error and abandon the authority of my elders, relinquishing
rectitude and honour, as also moral conduct and the Vedic ordinance, then
I, conforming to your beliefs and sacrificing prudence, would forfeit the
respect of wise and virtuous men.

*“Following your counsel, were I to cease to pursue the way of truth and
tread the lower path, by what means should I attain heaven?* Were I to
depart from the moral code, then every man might act according to his
inclination, since the subject mirrors the king, in action.

“Above all, a sovereign should manifest probity, benevolence, his chief
duty being to uphold truth; truth is verily the kingdom, by truth is the
world supported.

“The gods and sages esteem truth as the highest principle. He who utters
truth attains the supreme state. Men fear a liar as they do a venomous
serpent, truth is the root of all felicity and the support not only of this
world, but the best means of attaining heaven!

“Whatever is offered in sacrifice, whatever austerity is undertaken has its
foundation in truth, so the Vedas declare, hence truth is the most sacred
of all things.

“One maintains a family, another governs the whole world, another falls
into hell, another attains heaven in accordance with the fruit of his
actions! Acquainted with the law of Karma
<https://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/karma#purana> founded on truth, ought
I not to prove my sire a devotee of that truth? Why should not I, who have
pledged my word, follow that which I have accepted as truth? Honouring my
father’s vow, I shall never abandon the way of truth either for the sake of
governing a kingdom or through being misled by others or through ignorance
or anger. Hast you not heard that neither the Gods nor the ancestors
receive the offerings of one who is irresolute, infirm of purpose and false
to his word?

“I hold truth as the supreme virtue of mankind. I desire to reverence that
truth upheld by men of old. Should I follow the duty of a warrior, I should
be unjust. To do that which is false is worthy only of mean, covetous and
depraved souls <https://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/soul#purana>. Should I
pursue that crooked path, indicated by you, then I should perpetrate
falsehood, through the mind, the body and the soul
<https://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/soul#purana>. Those who uphold truth
acquire land, renown, fame, and heaven also; therefore, let all men utter
truth and act according to truth I

“That which you, after much deliberation, believest to be true, and
recommendest to me is wholly improper. O how can I disregard the command of
my sire, that I should reside in the forest? When I pledged my word in the
presence of my father, to enter the forest, Queen
<https://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/queen#history> Kaikeyi
<https://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/kaikeyi#purana> was rendered glad at
heart, how should I now give her cause for distress?

“Giving up falsehood and deceit, differentiating between what should and
should not be done, subduing the senses, possessed of full faith in the
Vedic injunctions, I shall devote myself to the fulfilment of my father’s
will!

“By sacrifice, one acquires the state of Indra
<https://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/indra#purana> and enters heaven. The
sages by virtue of sacrifice have gone thither.”

The illustrious and glorious Ramacandra
<https://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/ramacandra#purana>, highly displeased
by the materialistic arguments of Javali spoke thus in terms of refutation
and reproof: “O Javali, by speaking the truth, by pursuing the duties of
their caste and station, by manifesting their valour in time of need, by
gentle speech, by service of their spiritual preceptor, the gods and
unexpected guests, men attain heaven! Therefore, those brahmins instructed
in truth, pursue virtue with a single mind in accordance with their caste
and station and eagerly await their entrance to Brahmaloka
<https://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/brahmaloka#purana>. O Javali, I
perceive with regret the action of my illustrious parent in permitting one
of atheistic ideas, who has fallen from the path of rectitude enjoined in
the Vedas, to remain in his court. Those who preach the heretical doctrine
of the Charvaka <https://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/carvaka#purana> school,
are not only infidels, but have deviated from the path of truth. It is the
duty of a monarch to deal with such persons as with felons, nor should men
of understanding and learning stand in the presence of such atheists.

“O Javali, those versed in wisdom, who preceded you, performed many holy
acts by virtue of which they acquired eminence here and in the spiritual
realm. Those sages have ever practised harmlessness, truth, asceticism,
charity, benevolence and sacrifice.

“O Javali, those who fulfil their spiritual duty, who are the foremost in
deeds of charity, and who harm none, who frequent the assemblies of the
good and are revered by all men, they are without sin, their name shall
live for ever as that of our illustrious Guru
<https://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/guru#purana>, Shri
<https://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/shri#purana> Vasishtha
<https://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/vasishtha#purana>.”

Rama <https://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/rama#purana>, having uttered
these harsh words to Javali, he, with humility addressed Rama saying: “O
Rama, I am no atheist; on this occasion, I assumed this atheistical
disguise in order to turn you from your purpose and persuade you to return
to the capital!”

KR   Thank you Mr YM ji You must be bold enough to raise your voice on
principes; but swaying away from under the dirt etc emboldens only the
rowdies. Thank you  K Rajaram  IRS  23324

On Sat, 23 Mar 2024 at 00:00, Markendeya Yeddanapudi <
[email protected]> wrote:

> Even after crossing 70 years,if you cannot avoid very bad and negative
> words just to discount another,what sort of life you led leaving you with
> the proficiency in filthy words.Can you not ignore filth?Is it compelling
> for you to retaliate with filth?
> YM
>
> --
> *Mar*
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Thatha_Patty" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to [email protected].
> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/thatha_patty/CACDCHCJ_BFRkSEt5e%2BNuN7F26eDqG62u%3DvTsqS3CgcuBaBXoFA%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/thatha_patty/CACDCHCJ_BFRkSEt5e%2BNuN7F26eDqG62u%3DvTsqS3CgcuBaBXoFA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .
>

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Thatha_Patty" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/thatha_patty/CAL5XZor7GEj31mJxN9j1o-RVSCgQohoqhdQ0t5KsKn30x3hLaA%40mail.gmail.com.
  • Please Introspect Markendeya Yeddanapudi
    • Re: Please Introspect Rajaram Krishnamurthy

Reply via email to