CULTURAL QA 04-2024-15

Allthe BELOW  QA are from  Quora digest to me   on  15-04-2024.

 Quora answers need not be 100% correct answers

.Compiled and posted by R. Gopala krishnan, on 15-04-2024

Q1         Do twins have the same fingerprints? Ifthey don't, why does this 
happen if they are supposed to be exactly the same?Can they get mixed up with 
fingerprint identification?

A1          Ken Saladin, Professor of biology,emeritus 23h

They’re notsupposed to be the same, because fingerprints aren’t determined just 
bygenetics. They’re also determined by things the fetus randomly touches 
whileit’s still in the uterus, so “identical” (monozygotic) twin babies 
havedifferent fingerprints.

Q2         How did you deal with a psycho sittingin your next seat in flight 
travel?

A2          Andre Simeon,Lives in London4y

Not exactlya psycho, but certainly was on the verge of becoming one myself. On 
a flight toGhana some years back, I had the window seat, next to me a young 
woman, with anice warm, friendly, demeanour, and in the aisle seat a chap who 
boarded the flightyapping away on his phone. He continued this banality in an 
unnecessarily loudvoice as we waited for take off.

 

By now thewoman betwixt me, and motormouth were already exchanging wry smiles, 
andcurious glances. As one call ended ( no doubt by the poor person he chose 
todisturb) he was on the blower to yet another person. I noticed that he 
wassupposedly deep in conversation, (spoiler alert: I picked up something 
aboutchurch) but took time to eye the woman between us up and down. She too 
saw, andfelt, his prying eyes, and literally squirmed in her seat. She glanced 
at meslightly alarmed, and I gave her what I hope was a reassuring look that 
saidsomething like "it's ok, I noticed too"

So, phonecall over, after what seemed like an eternity, and whilst we still 
waited fortakeoff, he whipped out a bible, and began to evangelise to the now 
quiteuncomfortable woman. I held my peace, and bided my time, until I could 
holdback no more, and triggered by a now familiar glance over at me of sheer 
terrorfrom the poor trapped woman, I began.

I asked thathe cease with his "bible bashing" and allow the woman to enjoy 
theluxury of her own thoughts, and peace of mind. We, I continued, did 
notpurchase our air ticket to be preached to, and I for one refuse to tolerate 
ita moment longer. And further more, I said to him, can you not see how 
uneasy,and distressed you have made her, nodding to the woman? He glanced over, 
andfor the first time it seemed actually noticed the effect his obtrusive 
sermonwas having on her. He stopped, and never uttered another word for the 
durationof the 6 and a half hour flight.

She quietlythanked me with a look of utter relief. I was just glad that I was 
able to makegood of my reassuring "it's ok, I noticed too" look.

.Profilephoto for Sumit Kumar

Q3         Is milk poisonous to snakes?

A3          Sumit Kumar,10 most poisonous snakesin the world. Apr 10

Drinkingmilk is no less than poison for snakes, know why drinking milk can lead 
to thedeath of a snake.

Snakes areactually carnivorous creatures. When snakes feel hungry, they hunt 
frogs, rats,birds, lizards and snakes smaller than themselves to fill their 
stomachs. Toquench their thirst, snakes drink only water.But in India there is 
a traditionrelated to snakes, under which there has been a practice of feeding 
milk tosnakes for centuries. On Nag Panchami, snake charmers roam around the 
streetswith snakes and make them drink milk. With this they get money and 
grains.

According toexperts, feeding milk to snakes is wrong and harmful for the 
snakes. Not onlythis, snakes can die due to drinking milk. According to snake 
expert Dr. VishalPatel, milk is harmful not only for snakes but for any 
reptile. He says thatreptiles neither produce milk themselves nor do they 
produce enzymes to digestmilk.In fact, before Nag Panchami, snake charmers not 
only break the teeth ofsnakes but also remove their poisonous glands. The snake 
charmers keep thesnakes hungry and thirsty for several days before Nag Panchami 
so that they caneat and drink something due to hunger.

According toexperts, drinking milk also damages the snake's lungs and 
intestines. Thenafter a few days he dies. That's why experts say that feeding 
milk to snakes islike killing them.

Drinkingmilk is no less than poison for snakes, know why drinking milk can lead 
to thedeath of a snake.David Cuddle of Leigh University in Pennsylvania, USA, 
said inan article published in 2012 that nature produces only those organs 
andchemicals in organisms that they need. The chemicals needed to digest milk 
arenot produced in the snake's stomach or intestine. In such circumstances, 
snakesdo not drink milk.

Q4         Why do mammals have visible muscles intheir skin while reptiles and 
other vertebrates don’t?

A4          Ken Saladin, Former professor ofhistology (microscopic anatomy)16h

The musclesvisible on a mammal’s body surface aren’t in the skin. They’re under 
the skin,separated from it by layers of fibrous tissue and/or fat called 
hypodermis andfascia. There are very tiny muscles in the skin associated with 
each hairfollicle, which cause erection of the hairs and goosebumps, but 
they’re notvisible to the eye.

The onlyplace skeletal muscles are found in or near the skin are some muscles 
of facialexpression as in the lips, eyelids, and lower nose. Those are not 
visible insurface appearance though.

In fish andreptiles, you can’t see the most superficial (near-surface) muscles 
becausethey’re covered with scales. The plumage of birds also conceals the 
subsurfacemuscles. In amphibians, you can see them in such places as a frog’s 
legs.

Q5         What is a funny story that happened dueto language barrier?

A5          Manir Isham,Master of Applied Sciencein Electrical and Computer 
Engineering, Ontario Tech University (Graduated2013)Sun

A few yearsback, I went to a superstore to buy a bug-spray can.

I couldn'tfind it, so I asked an employee, “where can I find the bug sprays?”. 
She tookme the garbage bags isle. I said “no, am looking for bug-spray”. She 
said, yesit is the bug. She called another male worker for help. Now, both of 
them weretelling me that yes, it is the bug.

Both of themwere native English speakers. So, I realized what the problem is.

I lookIndian. In India bag is pronounced as “baag”. So when I said bug, they 
thoughtI am saying baag.

I thoughtfor a second and showed on one of my palms with the fingers of another 
hand howbugs walk. Then they understood that I am looking for bug-spray, not 
baag.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Thatha_Patty" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/thatha_patty/538518463.793191.1713193504652%40mail.yahoo.com.

Reply via email to