CULTURAL QA 05-2024-06

All theBELOW  QA are from  Quora digest to me   on  06-05-2024.

 Quoraanswers need not be 100% correct answers

.Compiled andposted by R. Gopala krishnan,  on 06-05-2024

Q1           What is the funny joke of the kinghiring the ass in place of
meteorologist?

A1           Lynda Clarke,17h

The king wanted togo fishing, and he asked the royal weather forecaster the
forecast for the nextfew hours. The palace meteorologist assured him that there
was no chance ofrain.

So the king and thequeen went fishing. On the way he met a man with a fishing
pole riding on adonkey, and he asked the man if the fish were biting.

The fisherman said,"Your Majesty, you should return to the palace! In just a
short time Iexpect a huge rainstorm."

The king replied:"I hold the palace meteorologist in high regard. He is an
educated andexperienced professional. Besides, I pay him very high wages. He
gave me a verydifferent forecast. I trust him."

So the king continuedon his way. However, in a short time a torrential rain
fell from the sky TheKing and Queen were totally soaked.

Furious, the kingreturned to the palace and gave the order to fire the
meteorologist. Then hesummoned the fisherman and offered him the prestigious
position of royalforecaster.

The fisherman said,"Your Majesty, I do not know anything about forecasting. I
obtain myinformation from my donkey. If I see my donkey's ears drooping, it
means withcertainty that it will rain."

So the king hiredthe donkey.

And thus began thepractice of hiring dumb asses to work in influential
positions ofgovernment.The practice is unbroken to this date.

Q2           Do wild animals reject theiroffspring if they are mutants with
abnormal appearance?

A2           K. Fletcher, wildlife expert, author,& small biz owner12h

Mutants? Lol

Animals don't givebirth to “mutants". But, if and when they give birth to a
baby who showsweakness or has deformities or equivalent, they are often
rejected. (Evencannabalized)

But clearly animalsdon't always reject babies based simply on unusual, atypical
appearances. Lookat the jaguar or leopard who births a black panther. The
mother and siblingswill most certainly be a spotted leopard/jaguar. Giving
birth to a spotless,totally black cub must appear like a mutant. They don't
mind!

How a mother reactsto a weak/sick baby can really depend on the species and/or
whether it's in a litteror a solo birth. Sometimes, mothers with larger litters
will raise them allindiscriminately, letting nature take its course with the
genetically inferiorindividual. (as this weak baby lags behind, it shows no
mercy & leaves it)

 Others that give birthto single babies, will reject the baby if born with
weakness/sickness. Why?Because they cannot invest time and energy trying to
raise and protect a babywho clearly won't make it. They simply cut their
losses, unfortunately.

Some animal speciesdon't need to give birth to a cub that's weak to reject it.
For example, theblack bear will often reject any litters of a single cub--as
most litters haveup to 3. They perceive raising just 1 as a waste, they'd
rather just reboot andstart over!

However, anotherbear does just the opposite: the panda. Pandas almost always
give birth totwins, but next to never care for both! They start to shun the
weaker of thetwo and favor the stronger--right from the start. One then
inevitably dies.

Seems cruel, butmost animals want to make the absolute most of their breeding
years. NO timefor, “mutants” or singletons.

Q3           Many foreigners make fun of India bysaying India is dirty and
Indians are unhygienic. Are we really that bad?

A3           Madan Mohan,Worked at Tata Motors(company)15h

Here are a fewpictures.

A residential area:A mall: Downtown view:

These pictures areof Harare, Zimbabwe. A country that has been battling
hyperinflation for yearsand has a partially dollarized economy because of
severe debasement of itslocal currency. And yet, going around the city, you
will only even find strayinstances of litter like plastic covers strewn around
and definitely noterribly foul smelling mountains of garbage, no multi coloured
rivers flowingdown the sewers. Whilst the above photos are of upmarket areas, I
have passedthrough the ghetto locale of Mbarre many times and it is neater than
a centralsuburban part of say Mumbai. (Pictures of Zimbave not added)

So, yes…we have avery, very long way to go. Because chalta hai is so deeply
ingrained in ourpsyche, we don’t even know what hygiene means or is supposed to
look like. Itis not ok to adulterate food, it is not ok to dump waste on the
road ratherthan in a waste bin. You can complain about govt services but govt
is almost inbreakdown in Zimbabwe. It is the people who make an effort to keep
it clean.First the willingness, the desire to maintain cleanliness must be
there. Thatitself is sorely missing in India.

Q4           Why did the British colonialgovernment deliberately starve over 60
million Eastern Indians to death?

A4          Claire Jordan,Worked at NationalHealth Service (NHS)14h

We didn’t. It’sbilge. We took stored supplies from Bengal to feed our army at a
time when wereasonably expected that there would soon be enough grain harvested
to feed thelocal people, and the army was all that stood between us and total
destruction.Then when freak storms led to an unexpected crop failure in Bengal
we tried toship enough grain in from Australia to make up the shortfall.
Unfortunately, atthat time large cargo planes weren’t yet a thing and all the
supplies had tocome by boat, so the grain took too long to arrive and a lot of
people died.

It was arguablymismanagement, but there was no plan or expectation that
civilians would die.The myth that it was deliberate came about because
Churchill cancelled ashipment of grain from Canada, but he did so because it
was coming from too faraway and would take months to arrive, and meanwhile the
people would starve.This was a time when a boat from Europe to Bengal took two
months - and Canadawas a lot farther. He arranged for a shipment from Australia
instead, becauseit could be there in weeks rather than months - but even that
proved to be tooslow.

My note – I have added this QA for information sake. Readit with an open heart.