CULTURAL QA 05-2024-08

All theBELOW  QA are from  Quora digest to me   on  08-05-2024.

 Quoraanswers need not be 100% correct answers

.Compiled andposted by R. Gopala krishnan,  on 08-05-2024

Q1         Canyou give me an example of British humour?

A1          John,Lives in Baltimore(2023–present)Sat

Two men,properly attired as British gentlemen, tapping their furled umbrellas
on thepavement as they walked to their club, whilst happily exchanging news of
theday with one another.

Walkingtoward them from the opposite direction are two white-gloved very
curvyattractive ladies in smart attire with jaunty hats festooned with ribbons
andfeathers.

Thegentlemen angle toward the edge of the pavement, allowing the ladies
safepassage between them and the imposing facades of Lombard Street. As they
pass, themen tip their hats, and the ladies reply with a coquettish smile and
nod.

In a fewmoments, one of the gentlemen says to the other, “Jove, Harry! I
believe wejust passed my wife and my mistress!” To which Harry replied, You
don’t meanit, James! I was thinking the same thing!”

Let’s move on to Scotland.

Little Colinruns to his father and joyfully announces, “Father! I walked back
from towntoday instead of takin’ the double-decker, and thereby saved tuppence!”

Fatherreplies by cuffing the boy’s ears, grabbing little Colin by his collar
andhissing, “Bloody fool! Next time don’t take the black cab and save a
shilling!”

Q2         Howare cold-blooded animals possible? If biological processes
produce heat, whyaren't all animals warm-blooded?

A2          Silk Road, Studied at Generative PreTraining9h

You'reconfusing a couple of things here.

Yes, it'strue that living things produce heat as a by product of their
internalprocesses – all that energy has to go somewhere, right?

But thewhole "warm-blooded" versus "cold-blooded" thing isn't justabout how
much heat an animal makes.

It's abouthow they regulate their body temperature.

Warm-bloodedanimals like us have a superpower: we maintain a pretty consistent
internaltemperature regardless of the outside environment.

We have allsorts of complex biological mechanisms to pull this off– sweating,
shivering,controlling blood flow – all to keep things cozy inside.

Cold-bloodedcritters, like lizards, fish, and insects, lack those fancy
internalthermostats.Their body temperature fluctuates along with their
surroundings.

Sun yourselfon a rock? Your temperature goes up. Take a dip in a chilly pond?
Down it goes.

So, whydidn't everyone get the internal thermostat upgrade?

Well,evolution isn't about building the best possible creature.It's about
"goodenough."Being warm-blooded is awesome, but it's expensive.We warm-bloods
needto eat constantly to fuel our internal furnaces.

Cold-bloodedcritters can go long stretches without food and get by on far less
because theyaren't wasting energy keeping warm.

Plus, beingcold-blooded has some perks.

You're lessenticing to parasites (who often love cozy temperatures).

You can beall sorts of shapes and sizes without worrying as much about heat
management,meaning a wider range of possible lifestyles.

The idea of"cold-blooded" animals being somehow less evolved than us isoutdated.

Lizardsbasking in the sun aren't failed mammals, they're evolutionary success
storiesdoing things their own way.

Q3         Canyou tell a legend with moral- never think bad about anyone

A3          Chauhan Babu Nath,Mar 4

 A person met Yamraj on the way and he couldnot recognize him.

Yamraj askedthe man for water to drink, without wasting a moment he gave him
water. Afterdrinking the water, Yamraj told that he has come to take his life
but since youhave quenched my thirst, I will give you a chance to change your
fate.

Saying this,Yamraj gave a diary to the man and said that you have 5 minutes
time. Whateveryou write in it will be done but remember only 5 minutes.

When the manopened the diary, he saw that it was written on the first page that
his friendwas going to win the lottery and he was going to become a
millionaire. He wrotethere that his partner should not win the lottery.

On the nextpage it was written that one of his friends was going to become a
ministerafter winning the elections, so he wrote that his friend should lose
theelections.

In this way,he kept turning the pages and finally saw his page. As soon as he
picked up hispen to write something, Yamraj took the diary from that person's
hand and said,'Vats, your five minutes time is over, now nothing can be done.'

You spentall your time in doing evil and finding evil in others and put your
life indanger. Ultimately your end is certain.

Hearingthis, the man regretted a lot but the golden opportunity had passed him
by.

If God hasgiven you some power then never think bad about anyone, nor do bad.
The one whodoes good to others is always happy and God's blessings always
remain with him.

Q4         Whatanimals appear lovable, but are jerks?

A4          K. Fletcher, Master's Degree inPsychology, Harvard University
(Graduated 2011)Feb 14

Kangaroos.

I think whenmost people think of kangaroos they envision a sweet hopping
marsupial with ababy in their pouch. I mean, they are vegetarians afterall.

Thiscouldn't be further from the truth. They're hugely strong, muscular,
andaggressive. They are actually quite dangerous. They have the ability
todisembowel you with their huge claws. They also have incredibly strong arms
andfeet.

Kangaroosuse their muscular tails to sit back and balance, then kick or claw
theiradversary. They've even been known to lure dogs into ponds, just to
drownedthem.

Now, theyaren't out to get you but during certain times they are more dangerous
thanothers. You certainly don't want to get near them during mating season,
whichcan technically be year round but is considered between September and
March.(Grey kangaroo)

Because weshare and upright stance with kangaroos, it's believed that males may
perceiveit as a threat. It's best never to approach one.

Q5         Isit beneficial for children to follow traditional practices in
Indian families?

A5          Rama G,Lives in Bengaluru, Karnataka,India23h

It dependson what practices those are. I can tell about my house.

1.Our grandmother used to scold if any one sleeps after sunrise. Used to show
sun and askus, are we greater than sun God?

Till dateall of us get up before sunrise. Come what may. Our children try but
fail onsome days. When questioned, give lengthy scientific explanation. Say
it's ok.Againthese days they started getting up before sunrise. Go for a walk
or swimming. Idon't know the reason for this sudden change.

2. We weretaught to offer some water for sun every morning. A five to ten
minutes ritual.We can read Aditya hridayam also . ‘Arghyam to sun” we call.
It's daily ritualfor us. I have been doing that from my childhood. Never
suffered that much Dvitamin deficiency.

Our childrenmocked, asked, sun really asks for a small copper vessel water?

Now, aftertest results, because of low vitamin D all of them are exposing
themselves tosun for 10 minutes minimum in the morning.

3. We weretaught, immediately aftergetting up if we don't set bed, Alakshmi
will come and sleep on that.( Daridra devatha) She willtake away all the good
things in our life.

Result, the next second we get up, we set the bed ,fold the blanket and leave
to the wash room. Bed looks always tidy.

Now I hearmany kids saying, “again we will sleep in the evening. What's the
need tofold?” Rooms look like pigsty.

4. “If weeat food on bed we will fall sick.”

 got scared and never ate sitting on food.

Mygrandmother used to tell. Who will eat on bed? Patients. What's the need
forhealthy people to eat on bed? Except for dirtying it?

Result, ourbeds were always neat.

5. We mustput Rangoli in front of the main door. Flowers should be kept both
sides towelcome goddess Bhagya Lakshmi.

Result, infront of main door, front yard is kept clean always. Shoes are always
in stand.Not allowed to thrown here and there. Because rangoli is drawn there.

6. Learn torespect sun. He is the giver of health. Learn Surya namaskar. I was
taught thisby my grandmother.

Result, evenin my 59 year, I am good and fit, maintain same weight for past 35
years. Bodyis flexible.

This our kidsalso learnt though all of them not continued. My Dil and son
follow it.Daughters are lazy in this matter. Sons in law do.

These are afew. Like this many are there. We got benefitted from them.

I am tryingto teach my grandchildren.

My note- I am very specific to keep the bed tidywhile getting up before 5 AM.
On getting up prayer Karagre… . Brushing teeth,if necessary shaving, bath,
bucket wash of clothes all by 5.30 AM. After prayerin prayer room, watering and
praying at Tulsimatam. feeding crows withbuiscuits, feeding cow’s with last
night rice. By 5.45 AM in Chennai, now it isdawn, I start my computer with some
positive responses.

After waterfilled up, watering plants in the front yard and keeping neat North
East cornerand water spraying. By the time lady servant comes for works  and my
wife wakes up, bath and brief prayerin pooja room, and start kitchen works. S.
lady cleans front area outside,water, put rangloli etc nowadays because  my
wife is not able to bend more.

My home isfacing East and I get sufficient Vitamin D on my spending time in the
frontarea.

I know mostof the iyers follow similar routine.