I think scan need to compute all the grad internally, even if they don't
get used.

You could implement a grad method to the as_op that will add dummy op to
the graph that could be removed later if they aren't needed.

Check those 2 URLS:

http://deeplearning.net/software/theano/extending/op.html?highlight=grad_not_implemented
http://deeplearning.net/software/theano/library/gradient.html?highlight=grad_not_implemented#theano.gradient.grad_not_implemented

There is a method grad_not_implemented that you can use inside the grad()
function that you must build.