On Thu, Oct 06, 2016, daniel hernandez wrote:
> I am starting with theano and for the life of me, I can't figure out how to
> define a simple TensorVariable whose eval method returns a constant. theano
> itself defines such variables, for instance
>
> > E = T.eye(2)
> > type(E)
>
> theano.tensor.var.TensorVariable
>

> > E.eval()
>
> array([[ 1.,  0.],
>        [ 0.,  1.]])
>

> So, what is theano doing under the hood here? how do I assign a constant
> value to a dscalar x?

Under the hood, it is doing:

>>> f = theano.function(inputs=[], outputs=E)
>>> f()

In this case it works, because the value of E only depends en constants (here,
2).

> > x = T.dscalar('x')
> > type(x)
>
> theano.tensor.var.TensorVariable

In that case, you can use the explicit version:
>>> f = theano.function(inputs=[x], outputs=x)
>>> f(3)

or the "eval shortcut"
>>> x.eval({x: 3})

You can start with http://deeplearning.net/software/theano/tutorial/index.html