> For 3x3 filters with 1 channel, it may just be too small for the
im2col/CorrMM version to show any improvement.

So the variant that I had with straightforward addition of submatrices is
the best way to go?

> Also, are you using openmp or a threaded BLAS? You might want to try
disabling openmp or trying different numbers of BLAS threads.

I'm not really sure, I just installed the package without changing any
settings. Judging by the process monitor, it only uses one thread.