I am trying experiment with a new Op in Theano. While defining the grad()
method, a function f(theano.tensor.tanh(x)) is used where x is the input.
However, internally its hitting an assert here:

  File "~/anaconda/lib/python3.4/site-packages/theano/tensor/basic.py",
line 1198, in make_node
    assert isinstance(t.type, TensorType)

The partial backtrace is given here:

  File "~/anaconda/lib/python3.4/site-packages/theano/gof/op.py", line 604,
in __call__
    node = self.make_node(*inputs, **kwargs)

  File "~/anaconda/lib/python3.4/site-packages/theano/tensor/elemwise.py",
line 586, in make_node
    DimShuffle, *inputs)

  File "~/anaconda/lib/python3.4/site-packages/theano/tensor/elemwise.py",
line 528, in get_output_info
    for i in inputs])

  File "~/anaconda/lib/python3.4/site-packages/theano/tensor/basic.py",
line 1198, in make_node
    assert isinstance(t.type, TensorType)

AssertionError

The t.type here is 'float64' instead of a Tensortype. The issue is easily
reproducible with using tanh inside grad().
Note that I'm not using 'tanh' op here, rather using tanh in grad(). Also
encapsulating return from grad() using theano.tensor.as_tensor_variable()
doesn't work here.

Please let me  know if there's a workaround for this.

Regards,
Mrinmoy