Hello!

I'm using Theano 0.8.0 on a machine that I have no control over and has an
older version of Debian installed (Debian Squeeze - 6.3.0).
It does not have a low enough gcc version to run cuda-7.5 (<= 4.9) nor it
has a high enough version to run cuda 8
Whenever I tried to import theano it said that clang-3.8 was available and
it should be used instead. So I included this on my .theanorc and it worked:

[global]
device=gpu
floatX = float32
[nvcc]
flags = -ccbin=clang-3.8
[dnn]
include_path="/home/$USER/cuda/include"
library_path="/home/$USER/cuda/lib64"

But I noticed it didn't use cuDNN, so it was significantly slower. When I
enforced cuDNN use with optimizer_including=cudnn I got:

AssertionError: cuDNN optimization was enabled, but Theano was not able to
use it. We got this error:
Theano can not compile with cuDNN. We got this error:
ERROR: No supported gcc/g++ host compiler found, but clang-3.8 is
available. Use 'nvcc -ccbin clang-3.8' to use that instead.\n"

Which is incidentaly the exact same error I got in the beggining.
I believe gcc/g++ is used as the default option whenever theano is on a
Linux environment. Is there a way to force Theano to use clang-3.8 to
compile cuDNN instead? Is there something else I'm missing here?
Unfortunately upgrading Theano is not an option since the NN lib im using
(Lasagne) has not updated to Theano 1.0

Thanks,
Antonio