When I try to import Theano, I run into the following error message:

ERROR (theano.gpuarray): Could not initialize pygpu, support disabled
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/user/Theano/theano/gpuarray/__init__.py", line 227, in
<module>
    use(config.device)
  File "/home/user/Theano/theano/gpuarray/__init__.py", line 214, in use
    init_dev(device, preallocate=preallocate)
  File "/home/user/Theano/theano/gpuarray/__init__.py", line 99, in init_dev
    **args)
  File "pygpu/gpuarray.pyx", line 658, in pygpu.gpuarray.init
(pygpu/gpuarray.c:9628)
  File "pygpu/gpuarray.pyx", line 587, in pygpu.gpuarray.pygpu_init
(pygpu/gpuarray.c:9038)
GpuArrayException: cuInit: CUDA_ERROR_UNKNOWN: unknown error

I built and installed libgpuarray successfully, and Theano's installation
completes without any errors.
I'm running Ubuntu 14.04, with CUDA 9.1 and cuDNN 7.  I'm currently running
NVIDIA 375.66, but I've
also tried 384.111 with no luck.

Output of nvidia-smi:
NVIDIA-SMI 375.66                 Driver Version: 375.66
(And other information, showing three GPUs, GTX 660 and 2x TITAN X).

Output of nvcc --version:
nvcc: NVIDIA (R) Cuda compiler driver
Copyright (c) 2005-2017 NVIDIA Corporation
Built on Fri_Nov__3_21:07:56_CDT_2017
Cuda compilation tools, release 9.1, V9.1.85

Any ideas?  The error message doesn't really give me a good lead on what I
should be investigating.