?
Cat and MouseDisclaimers: Don't own these vampires, Anne Rice does. I make no
money off of this.
Spoilers: Queen of the Damned
Warnings: none
David turned the tall glass over in his hands, watching the light reflect off
of the wine inside. He sighed in fond remembrance of the taste of that liquid,
of the smooth slide down his throat and the wonderful light-headed sensation
afterward. There were very few things he missed about being mortal, and being
able to indulge his love of fine wine was one of them.
"Hi, there, stranger," came a silky feminine voice. "All alone?"
David smiled before he turned. There was another thing he missed. Sex, ah,
wonderful sexual intercourse, how it had ruled his life as a young man. Not
that he had been a sex-crazed beast, but all boys tend to have those needs and
desires. And now even that most primal, basic urge was gone. Yes, there was a
variant that vampires indulged in...but that wasn't the same. Not worse, no,
but not better, either...just different.
"Alone enough," he answered smoothly. "A shame I spent all of my money earlier
tonight, or else I would offer you a drink."
The pretty prostitute's smile faded quickly. He didn't take offense. She had
judged him a rich hit, what with his dark suit and the expensive glass in his
hand, and truth was he did have several thousands on him. But he didn't fancy
women...no, scratch that. He didn't fancy mortals.
"Oh, sorry, I think I see my date now," she said lamely, at least offering a
feeble excuse. It was more than some gave. She pranced off in her high heels to
another table, one with an executive and a laptop.
David sighed and looked back at the white wine swirling around. So nice to be
alone once in awhile. Lestat could be such a handful at times that no one in
the coven could stand him, save for Louis, whom everyone was starting to see as
a martyr to blind love. Poor little Louis, patiently bearing it all while
Lestat zipped him off from concert to concert.
I shouldn't have left him so quickly,
 David thought to himself. He has such a hard time keeping a hold on that brat,
he could have used my help...no. He was fine on his own. He enjoys being picked
up and forced to dance, it's the only time he will dance. I would only get in
the way. Why must eternity be so boring?
As he was thinking, he felt a faint yet familiar buzz in the back of his mind.
It was a fleeting touch at most, gone before it was truly there, but he knew it
instantly. He laughed grimly and put his wine down, tossing his payment with it
on the table. Without any second thoughts, he stood up and turned, looking into
the farthest corner of the restaurant.
There he was, still as neat and trim as ever. He had a cane now, and likely
needed it to get around. His hair was grayer and coarse, but at least it was
there. He would have seemed less like the proper English gentleman, somehow.
Fear rose up in him as he realized he'd been spotted, and he put his notes
together hastily.
David smiled and walked boldly over, sitting down at the man's table. "Aaron
Lightner, I presume?"
Aaron blinked in surprise. "I'm sorry," he said, trying to recollect himself.
"You have me at a disadvantage, sir. I do not know who you are."
The vampire felt a little disappointed in his old friend. "Well, the elders say
we're not to speak with you Talamasca," he teased.
"You know the elder vampires?" Aaron asked, revealing his eagerness. "I had no
idea..."
"You thought you were merely watching a youngster at his evening routine?"
David smiled. He reached over and took the notes, a little satisfied when Aaron
drew back in awe at how fast he'd moved.
David skimmed the notes, amused when he read that he was a relative of David
Talbot, and now a wealthy heir to the estate. "You'll find I'm very difficult
to keep track of," he commented, handing the notes back. "You might as well put
those notes in the Talbot and Reeves files and lock them away in the basement
storehouse."
Aaron narrowed his eyes suspiciously. "How do you know about that?"
"You watchers are not as aloof as you would like to think. You are more
involved than you would like to think. But then, you could ask the Mayfairs
about that, couldn't you?"
Aaron leaned back and grasped his cane, wondering if he should make a polite
escape. "Who are you really?"
David glanced at his watch. "Look at that, it will be dawn in a few hours. I
really must be going. Nice speaking with you." He got up and moved away.
"David, wait!"
He shouldn't have, he knew that. If he'd had a little more experience, he
wouldn't have. And if he'd had just a bit more self-restraint, he would have
kept on walking. But he was a fledgling, despite sixty mortal years, and
eternity would never be able to give him this opportunity again. So he turned
back and smiled at Aaron.
"I'm sorry, who?"
Aaron stared at him for a minute. "Was it worth it, David?"
"I don't know this David person, but if you mean the Dark Gift, yes, very much
so." He took another step towards the door.
"Can't you tell me anything more?" Aaron pleaded. "About the coven, about each
individual member, the rules, past adventures...?"
"I see why the elders say not to speak to you," David sighed sadly. "The
temptation to play cat and mouse is simply too great. And I see why no one in
the Talamasca ever is allowed to observe vampires. None of you is experienced
enough."
Watching what was potentially his inside scoop on the coven just start to waltz
out of his life was too much for Aaron to bear. He stamped his cane on the
floor, upset that the vampire who may well have been his past friend was
ignoring him. "Damn it, David, you are still Talamasca, even if you do have
fangs! You still have an obligation to the order!"
David paused again, considering. The lure of his past life, the familiar
comforts and faces he'd had before, his life's work...he frowned. That
life-draining work, mind numbing fact collecting that made no difference,
except to fill up some dusty shelf, and then join the dust in the communal
graveyard. He looked back at Aaron.
"Have you ever hunted a tiger?" he asked softly.
Disconcerted at the subject change, Aaron answered as if he expected a trick
question from the vampire. "You know I did, back when there were thousands of
them and it wasn't illegal."
"You came behind it," David continued, "kept your gun up at the ready, in case
it charged. Your hired men were all far behind you, save for the guide who had
his own gun out. Your adrenaline surged, you heard the roar and watched the
grass fly, and then you fired. And then you had a nice tiger rug."
"Yes, so?" Aaron asked.
David smiled. "That is the difference between you and I, Aaron."
"What difference?" the mortal scoffed. "I know you, David, I'm sure of it. And
I know you hunted tigers as well."
The vampire nodded. "Yes, when I was mortal. But I am no longer human, Aaron. I
do not need a gun. And I do not hunt tigers. With the Dark Gift I became the
tiger. All my past life was stripped away, and I instead had claws and fangs
and reflexes and youth and agility and power...A tiger's stripes go down into
its skin." He smiled at the human. "I have no past obligations. A tiger lives
in a savage garden. A human lives in a molded library, until it is time to
return to dust."
Aaron's eyes seemed to lose their light, as if he had come to terms with
something he had struggled with for a long time. "David..."
"Yes?"
"...is dead," Aaron kept going, without paying attention to David. "Isn't he?"
Yes, the cat and mouse game is simply too much fun to not play. I'll have to
stop scolding Lestat for it.
David smiled and glanced at the door. Time to go. "I really must be off. The
elders would scold me for speaking with you this long. Enjoy the wine, it's
rather excellent here."
"How could you turn your back on the observation?" Aaron suddenly asked.
Good grief, was I as intent on my scholarly work as he was?
 David wondered. No wonder Lestat forced me over, he couldn't stand me
otherwise. "I will tell you one thing," he conceded. "It is more fun being
observed in action, than merely observing action. Farewell." This time he did
not let himself be drawn back with words. He walked down the street, wondering
if he hadn't committed a serious blunder by speaking to the Talamascan. He
could ask Louis about it, if he had the time.
The End