As people have realized, getting cavers to understand/use version
control systems at all is incredibly difficult.

While a distributed version control would be the best answer --
especially in the field -- they are impossible for normal people to
use.  It will go wrong immediately, and people will get frustrated,
and give up.

I have had some success getting some non-techies to use TortoiseSVN
(they're all on Windows) and knowledgeforge, under the following
project:

 http://knowledgeforge.net/project/sesame/

The majority of the data can be SVN checked out from:

  http://knowledgeforge.net/sesame/club/mmmmc/

The files are broken into survex data, scans of survey drawings, and
tunnelx (sssssssss!) files.

The terms of use of this server is it's public data -- as it should
be.  Personally, I believe there are very few reasons for cave data
not to be public, but you can't convince everyone about what is right.

If you look around the data on knowledgeforge, you will find that
club/hmg is password protected.  This is because it is
http://www.hongmeigui.net/ data for Chinese caves, and there was a
recent government decree that made it illegal for foreigners to make
any maps in China.  This is one of the very few legitimate reasons for
keeping cave data private.

If anyone wants to join knowledgeforge and upload sets of cave data, I
can add them to the project.

As I said, this particular platform has legs.  That is, non-techie
cavers are routinely committing files to it.  This is the big
breakthrough.

Julian.