Having slept on this, one solution which would avoid areas would be

-outline in/out/none - works for both model and 2D
-2D in/out/none - sets the outline for 2D
-3D in/out/none - sets the outline for 3D

so
-2D out -3D out

is equivalent to

-outline out

Doesn't break what we have, just extends it, hopefully without over
complication

Andrew