Hi Bruce,

transparent colours in therion are transparent only between scraps, but are
completely opaque within the scrap. The method used is a "transparency
knockout group": all objects in the group are drawn as if they were opaque
and only the topmost color is drawn transparently over the lower scrap
(Adobe PDF Reference describes this method in detail).

I don't remember why we don't support local transparency too, but most
probably because there might be disturbing interference between e.g.
transparent water and transparent scrap background.

Martin