+++ Bill Gee [2013-10-08 19:42 -0500]:
> Hi Wookey -
>
> It is kind of a strange situation for me.  I earn a good living as a software
> packager for Windows applications.  I can turn MSI files inside-out.  But
> RPMs??  I have no clue where to even start!

Right well, maybe you can help with the windows packaging (although we do it
using Linux tools).

> Of course, if I were to take on RPM packaging, I still have to get Therion to
> compile.
>
> Fedora 17 is over a year old.  They are up to 19, and I expect to see 20
> before the end of the year.  Still, it's not THAT old.
>
> On that subject - Fedora package names are quite different from Debian.

Yes, that's often the case. There is a different set of conventions.

> I ran
> some queries on my system to see what is installed.  Here is what it shows.
> think this covers everything you mentioned.
> ================
>
> [bgee at main2 ~]$ rpm -qa | grep -i wx
> wxGTK-devel-2.8.12-4.fc17.x86_64
> wxPython-2.8.12.0-2.fc17.x86_64
> wxBase-2.8.12-4.fc17.x86_64
> wxGTK-2.8.12-4.fc17.x86_64
> wxGTK-media-2.8.12-4.fc17.x86_64
> wxGTK-gl-2.8.12-4.fc17.x86_64
> [bgee at main2 ~]$ rpm -qa | grep -i mesa
> mesa-libGL-devel-8.0.4-1.fc17.x86_64
> mesa-libOSMesa-devel-8.0.4-1.fc17.x86_64
> mesa-libglapi-8.0.4-1.fc17.x86_64
> mesa-libxatracker-8.0.4-1.fc17.x86_64
> mesa-libOSMesa-8.0.4-1.fc17.x86_64
> mesa-dri-filesystem-8.0.4-1.fc17.x86_64
> mesa-libGLU-8.0.4-1.fc17.x86_64
> mesa-dri-drivers-8.0.4-1.fc17.x86_64
> mesa-libgbm-8.0.4-1.fc17.x86_64
> mesa-libEGL-8.0.4-1.fc17.x86_64
> mesa-libGLU-devel-8.0.4-1.fc17.x86_64
> mesa-libGLES-8.0.4-1.fc17.x86_64
> mesa-libGL-8.0.4-1.fc17.x86_64
> [bgee at main2 ~]$ rpm -qa | grep -i freetype
> freetype-2.4.8-4.fc17.x86_64
> freetype-2.4.8-4.fc17.i686
> freetype-devel-2.4.8-4.fc17.x86_64
> [bgee at main2 ~]$ rpm -qa | grep -i vtk
> vtk-tcl-5.8.0-6.fc17.x86_64
> vtk-5.8.0-6.fc17.x86_64
> vtk-python-5.8.0-6.fc17.x86_64
> vtk-devel-5.8.0-6.fc17.x86_64
> vtk-qt-5.8.0-6.fc17.x86_64
> vtk-java-5.8.0-6.fc17.x86_64
> [bgee at main2 ~]$
>
> =====================
>
> I assume xTherion needs vtk

No. Loch needs vtk and wx

xtherion needs tcl and tk

....  If vtk were the problem, then I would expect
> the Therion compiles to fail too.  It runs through xTherion without error.
> It
> only fails when it gets to Loch.

Exactly. Look at the difference between the top-level Makefile and the
loch/Makefile.

You can see a working (debian) build-log here, which might help:
https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=therion&arch=i386&ver=5.3.11-2&stamp=1381462995

Wookey
http://wookware.org/