Hi Bruce,

thanks for pointing out this bug. I will check the order of numbers, I have
probably made some mistake when dealing with automatic color scale
generation.

I have rewritten the scale code completely, but I had no time until now to
write the docs. But if you want to try, something like that should now work
in the layout:

lookup altitude -title "Altitude legend"
700 [100 0 0] "700 m a.s.l."
680
660
640
620
600 [0 0 100] "below 600 m"
endlookup

It should generate red -> blue scale with desired values. Also explo-date,
topo-date should now work with addition to maps, scraps. E.g.

export map -layout-color map-fp topo-date

and for example:

lookup topo-date
2010.12.31 [] "2010 and before"
2011.12.31 [] 2011
2012.12.31 [] 2012
- [] "2013 and later"
endlookup

You may specify multiple lookup tables for same criterion using ":"
separator in label

lookup altitude:scale1
600
800
endlookup

and

lookup altitude:scale2
800
750
700
endlookup

and use then "color map-fg altitude:scale1" or "color map-fg
altitude:scale2"

You may use also:

lookup maps
map1@some_survey [color]
map2 [color]
map3 [color]
endlookup

Same should work with scraps. With maps, also more simple way should work -
you may specify color of a particular map within selection.

select map1 -color [100 0 0]

Also intervals should work:

lookup altitude
[1500 1600] [] "cave floor 1"
[1800 1900] [] "cave floor 2"
endlookup

If you are willing to try, I would appreciate any feedback. Probably there
are a lot of bugs because a lot of use-cases. I was not able to test them
all.

S.