Hi Bill
If I were in your situation (as I think I have been from time to time), then I
would opt for targeting an exported map that was close to the 3'x2' paper size
when printed at full size.  I would do this by using 'scale 1 xxx' where xxx is
one of the preferred scales that gives you close to the right paper size.
That is assuming the full size legend, north arrow, header text are more or
less the right size for your needs, or only need minor tweaks.

Then if some symbols are not quite right, I would limit my code customisation
to only those symbols.  Judging by examples you have posted on the wiki, you
are pretty good at this.  Examples in
https://therion.speleo.sk/wiki/metapost#cave_symbol_size_and_density_examples
provide some patterns to guide changes in fill density, and the discussion near
the top of the page about variables u, v and w might be helpful.

As Felix mentioned, you can tweak text and symbol size with 'base-scale 1 yyy',
if you want to optimise for printing larger or smaller than full size.

Seems to me that this approach is likely to be the path of least resistance,
requiring only changes to your layouts and some metapost.
Optimising standard output elements for printing at the 'wrong size' just seems
counter productive to me.

I should admit however that I tend to avoid using fills like clay, sand,
debris, blocks, and rather use points.  That avoids the fill density issues you
describe, but I appreciate if you already have a large investment in area fills
your approach may be tempting.

Bruce