Marco, Evaristo

Looking also at Evaristo’s TopoDroid screenshots, which highlight the issue
nicely, it seems to me that both TopoDroid (which I have not used) and
PocketTopo (which I use) handle splays similarly, and automatically (maybe not
TopoDroid?) and that automatically is the right way to do it, based on some
combination of splay, leg and leg extend direction (difficult and arbitrary as
a precise solution might be).  A precise solution is a difficult concept where
extend switches say from left to right – although the software coders will be
the experts on this.  At least PocketTopo mostly gives sensible splays.

Therion also messes up PocketTopo’s extended splay legs, and I just ignore it,
because hopefully I still have the sketch to trace.

In theory a nice solution would be for Therion to somehow preserve what the
source software gives it.  But in practice not so easy, especially as I always
end up changing the extend specifications when it comes time to produce a
finished drawing.

Marco, are you suggesting below that extend -1 would be left, extend 0 would be
vertical, and extend 1 would be right?

Conceptually seems OK.  Personally I would not be bothered with that level of
refinement, but I concede there are times when it would be nice to foreshorten
a passage just a little in order to close a loop, or make something look or fit
better.  Fairly often the extend direction I choose in the cave gets modified
by the time I get to drawing the map!  More I think about it, the more I like
it.

> btw, are vertical extend considered in the computation of the cave length by
> therion?

I don’t know for sure, but it would seem illogical for anything about the
drawing or presentation projection (extend is a hybrid of both) to have any
effect on the centreline length or depth reported by Therion.  Length and depth
are a survey centreline property.  Length should be the sum of all survey legs
that are not duplicate and not splay.  It also includes nosurvey legs. Depth is
the vertical range between highest station and lowest station, and I think it
goes further to include possibly the highest and lowest splay points and or up
and down measurement. Conceptually an elevation drawing could affect the
reported depth, but as far as I can tell, elevation drawings are not yet
considered when producing 3d models, so it would seem unlikely that Therion
would bring them into the depth calculation.  Or did I misunderstand your
question?

Another idea.

Debug could have an extend option ‘debug extend’.  It might include adding
arrow heads and L, R or V to the centreline of each survey leg (not so
meaningful for splays). And maybe there is some way to graphically show why
some ignore statements shift large chunks of centreline far to the left or
right – maybe by showing hidden legs in very light colour?  In conjunction with
‘debug station-names’ this would help when trying to untangle large
multi-looped survey networks.

Bruce