So, after reading the thbook (p. 31) again, I think I can answer that to myself.
But it would be good if someone could step in and confirm:

<origin x> <origin y>
may be negative, depending in used CS.

Is not allowed to be negative:
- origin is always lower-left (southwest) corner, and spacing is assumed to be from west to east and south to north, thus always positive.
row and cols count cannot be zero or negative for obvious reasons.

Stay safe!
kind regards, Beni